Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD Bad pool header after adding new RAM

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Problems with the HDD or operating system should not stop the CD/DVD drive from working so can you check whether it is listed and enabled in the BIOS boot order http://www.samsung.c...137&map_seq=223

Advertisements

ChrisKeo

ChrisKeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Problems with the HDD or operating system should not stop the CD/DVD drive from working so can you check whether it is listed and enabled in the BIOS boot order http://www.samsung.c...137&map_seq=223

OK, there must be something else wrong. Everytime I try something new, my cpu keeps going right back into repair mode and shuts down. I cannot get past it even after altering the Boot Sequence. Disk is in CD rom but it goes back to windows repair screen...Hold on

I just restarted my cpu and it FINALLY went thru...what should I do now?? I am kinda tenative at this point, I do not want it to do this all over again! Is there some settings I need to check or change? And can I add this new stick of RAM back again? Man, I am happy but still tenative...

What next?

CK...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
What is the state of the computer at present as in are you in Windows etc.

ChrisKeo

ChrisKeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, home screen. Everything appears normal.
Last screen said it restored to the date before all this happened...
The day before I added the new stick of RAM. Another issue is it is not recognizing my Graphics card only the onboard one. Not normal. Nividia 540m had a update the same week my cpu went down.

CK.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Check that your OS is fully up to date and then create a new restore point and then back up all important data on the HDD.

Going offline now as it is getting late here in the UK and I have work in a few hours, will check back asap though, I would hold off fitting the new Ram or making any system setting changes for now.

ChrisKeo

ChrisKeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
GOT IT! Thanks again...I'll do what I can until I hear back.

CK...

ChrisKeo

ChrisKeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

GOT IT! Thanks again...I'll do what I can until I hear back.

CK...

OK, I did a backup restore point and created a restore disk. Then my computer restarted and began the startup repair cycle again. Now I'm trying to get back into windows with the re-image but its not going so well. I remember changing some statup options on a screen but forgot how to get back to it. It had options to start and what programs start when I turn on the computer. I made a change in that screen, I'm wondering if that change made a difference to my current situation?? Is there a way to get back to it and restore defaults? It was okay for about four hours then it went back to the startup repair cycle. I could not repair or update my windows, it said it was not able to. Checked the settings but couldnt get it to update. Still doe not recognize my graphics card either. That's where I am at currently. Going to sleep now but will check back Monday afternoon.

Lemme know whats next...

PS: I want to make it better than before so this doesnt happen again. By upgrading and updating whatever I need to. BIOS included.

CK...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
When you did the back up was it to media such as burning it to disk or copying it to an external storage device such as a USB thumbdrive or hard drive.

ChrisKeo

ChrisKeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

When you did the back up was it to media such as burning it to disk or copying it to an external storage device such as a USB thumbdrive or hard drive.

Yes, I saved it to my CD. Well its all done now. I did a complete restore and now I'm back to square one. I need to start updating everything. I also need to make changes to my BIOS and add the RAM back in. Can you assist me in that? I am currently re-installing my necessary programs and documents. Where should I start? LMK...

CK...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Ensuring that Windows and your AV software are up to date is the priority.

Can I ask what changes need to be made to your BIOS please.

Not sure whether you meant help with the BIOS or the Ram so have added a link http://www.crucial.c...all/sodimm.aspx

Advertisements

ChrisKeo

ChrisKeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Ensuring that Windows and your AV software are up to date is the priority.

Can I ask what changes need to be made to your BIOS please.

Not sure whether you meant help with the BIOS or the Ram so have added a link http://www.crucial.c...all/sodimm.aspx

I updated the BIOS on Samsung website from 10HX to 17HX. I was wondering about the upgrades to my motherboard, do I need to alter my RAM settings? What's the correct way to re-install my new RAM? I know how to put it in but the last time I installed it I got the BSOD bad pool header. What's the procedure? Windows has been updating for two days straight. I believe the updates are almost done. I'm still searching for a few of my other programs and free virus programs. What else should I be updating? Anything crucial?

CK...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Apologies for the delay in replying.

You do not need to alter any settings for your Ram if it is either the DDR3 PC3-12800 or DDR3 PC3-10600 (non-ECC) specification that is compatible with the notebook.

You physically fit the Ram and that is it on your part, the BIOS first and then the operating system take over from there.

Let us know when all Windows updates and an AV program have been installed please.

ChrisKeo

ChrisKeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK.Curious, I got a Microsoft error upon trying to download their software. It's error code:0x8004FF00. Any reason this happened? What should I do now? LMK...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Couple of links that should help http://support.micro...l_and_Uninstall and/or http://windows.micro...rity-essentials

ChrisKeo

ChrisKeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok. I think all of my updates are complete. I've been waiting to see if any other issues arise before I re-insert the other stick of Ram. So the procedure is install it then immediately get into Bios screen? But I do nothing in Bios? Lmk...

CK...