Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC not booting - fans not spinning, green mobo led lights up

• Please log in to reply

Ragis

Ragis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there,
About a year ago I switched from my good ol' PC and bought myself a laptop. The PC was perfectly fine, until now - first it was working great, I even installed Windows8 on it to check it out, but then some graphical issues started - white lines from top to bottom of the screen. I've borrowed a graphic card from a friend and looks like it was the problem. Now I bought a new graphic card, but I have no way to check it, cause now my PC doesn't even boot.
I've tried removing all parts except the processor - nothing happens. Green LED on the motherboard lights up when I turn power supply on, but that's all. Fans in PSU and CPU don't even move.
I've checked if the PSU works using an old PC - it's working fine, everything boots instantly.
Looks like it's either mobo or processor issue - is there any way to check it?
I've never had any hardware problems, assembled many PCs for myself and friends, but now I'm helpless.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,028 posts
Hello Ragis

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

If custom built please provide the brand and model name or number details of the PSU, MB and the previous and replacement video cards.

Ragis

Ragis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry for no details, I was busy trying to figure it out on my own, and I've done it - it was PSU's fault. It worked on an old PC so I was sure it is ok, but looks like it doesn't provide enough power to boot a newer hardware or something like that. I've borrowed a new PSU and everything works well. Case closed. Thanks phillpower2 for your reply. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,028 posts
Thanks for the update and sharing how you resolved the issue and well done for that Ragis :thumbsup:

I suspected the PSU when I read your OP and particularly the fact that the green LED on the MB lit up as that is normally a sign that the +5V stand by power is present, I hope you do not mind if I post here some information regarding how a PSU can appear to be working correctly but it is not, this will help others who read your thread looking for help themselves.

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: