Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen when booting windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Maleboe

Maleboe

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I have Windows 7 Professional dual booting with Windows 8. Today I tried to boot up Windows 7 Pro and it's loading the Windows screen but when it came to the login screen it's black and all I have is a cursor. I am on here with Windows 8. Whoever helps, it is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, as always

Josh

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Maleboe

Give Last Known Good Configuration a try;

Power up the computer and press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Okay did that and it goes to the Windows 7 screen and just freezes up. Any other ideas?

Again, thanks in advance.

Josh

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You may have a damaged/corrupt OS :(

Try Safe Mode with Networking as detailed at the attached link http://www.sevenforu...-safe-mode.html

Do you have a Windows 7 or system restore disk at all.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
It's not loading either.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I asked previously "Do you have a Windows 7 or system restore disk at all".

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Attached is what you requested and I have a Windows 7 disk but not a restore disk.screenshot.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It is good that you have a Windows 7 disk in case it is needed.

Please see the tutorial @ http://www.boyans.net/

If Windows 7 is missing from the boot-menu:
Run Visual BCD Editor, right-click in left pane, select "Create missing Windows loaders".

Cautionary note, the amount of free storage space on the C: drive is getting low as you need to keep 20 - 25% of the overall storage capacity of the drive free at all times for Windows updates etc, if the amount of space gets too low the OS can corrupt and in extreme cases the drive can fail.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Windows 7 and both Windows 8 are able to be selected in the boot menu when I start. I deleted files off of that particular partition so it would have more free space. I tried to run Visual BCD Editor and tried to create missing windows folders and It said no loader entries created. All Visible Windows installations have corresponding loader entries.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
See if you are able to run SFC method two http://www.sevenforu...rompt-boot.html

Unfortunately I will be going offline shortly as it is getting late here in the UK and I have work early in the morning, hopefully you will be able to run SFC and resolve the issue meanwhile, good luck.

Advertisements

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I did all you said and got the following message after it said "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time." "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
From your reply #9

I deleted files off of that particular partition so it would have more free space.

Do you happen to know what you deleted.

It looks like there may be Windows 7 files missing so try a Start-up Repair http://www.sevenforu...pair.html?ltr=S

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Yes, just excess files nothing important. Some movies I had backed up and poetry and so on. I tried a Start-Up Repair before and it found no problems.

Edited by Maleboe, 12 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I am going to ask for a second pair of eyes to take a look at your topic as I am leaning towards a problem with the HDD itself such as a damaged platter, testing for this could cause a flaky HDD to fail which is to be avoided unless all important data on the HDD has been backed up first, a fresh pair of eyes may spot something that I have possibly overlooked/not suggested.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Malebo

Try this please, I do not expect it will solve the problem, but What I am wanting from it is the result please.

Boot into 8, press the windows key + C

Click on settings

Click on power, hold shift key and click restart

then on the screen that is presented choose the option for continue to windows 7, or depending on how it was set up it may say earlier edition of windows.

Also I do not think I have missed it, having read the posts, if I have, I apologise.

1. How many hard disks are in the computer - is Windows 7 and 8 on the SAME disc - eg disk 0 in your screenshot

2. What partition is 7 on and what allocated letter was it.

So looking at my screenshot of my disk management, what please was your setup

dm.jpg

as you can see my 7 and XP are on on disk 0 and my 8 is on disk 1 lettered C and D.

Of course on a dual boot allocated letters change, depending on which boot you are in.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 March 2013 - 01:05 PM.