Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand New Gaming System Freezes

• Please log in to reply

trokua

trokua

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello, I'm a little confused as I just built my dream-rig last week. Got all my OS and software installed, however she freezes in the night if I put it up to any sort of high-stress activity. Games run like a dream, but something like a video-file converter will trip it up and sit completely frozen at some random percentage. I've tried several times, but have not seen any sort of pattern other than when I am converting video files for different players, or re-encoding a video-file for DVD.

Attached Thumbnails

• BESSIE2.PNG

Edited by trokua, 09 March 2013 - 12:25 PM.

Advertisements

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
For some reason my posting on this was flagged.

New gaming rig, beautifully built, however freezes under stress of video conversion software.

AnyVideo Converter
ConvertXtoDVD 4

I've also found that my system will freeze and crash with Marvel Avengers Alliance (the facebook game)
However I have no problems with things like Fallout 3 (a bit of a throwback)

Hardware is as Follows:

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX

Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10Q-32GBZL

Boot HDD: Intel 335 Series Jay Crest SSDSC2CT240A4K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Data HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

Power Supply: ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC ...

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi trokua, Posted Image

Please go to the link below, download and install HWMonitor *1.21 setup, english* (find on the right of the window)

Run HWMonitor and play a game that been crashing, for about 3 minutes, then take a screenshot of the monitor and post in your next reply. We need to check your temps and volts.
> http://www.cpuid.com...#directiontouse

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Here is a screenshot as requested after about 4 minutes of a re-encode.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Thanks for the update. When downloading programs, please decline any bundled software or add ons like search bars. Do not use any offered auto fixes.

Checking first for your temps and correct stable voltage.
HWMonitor results are not very conclusive, not all the volt readings have been detected.. Please download Speedfan. run the same as for HWMonitor and post a screen shot of the main window.
> http://www.softpedia...?p=4103&t=5&i=1

Please download Speccy and run, when the results window is showing in your browser, paste the URL from the address bar in your next reply.
> http://www.piriform....wnload/standard

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
http://speccy.pirifo...y1toNmqaMtLwhbq

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Also this I had to take a photo on a separate camera as it had frozen again

Attached Thumbnails

• P4030016a.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Sorry for the long delay. Thanks for the update. My questions and instructions may be rather basic but this is only to ensure that beginners can follow along.

Your temps and PSU appear to be OK. Other most likely hardware causing the freezing are the GPU and Ram. You also have a lot of programs starting with windows, also services, auto updates and the SSD has not been optimized.

Please ensure the BIOS is at Default setting also applies to video settings.

Starting with the GPU. Always switch of the power and take anti static measures when working on the computer.

Please check and confirm that you install the GPU into the correct lane of the MB, If you updated drivers, Motherboard, they should be downloaded only from the Asrock site as they have been tested on your board. No Beta ones until you have a stable system. Your video Drivers ideally should be the ones that came with the GPU?,

remove the video card and then reseat it, should be in the PCI-E2 slot. Swap the PCI-E cable for the other one from the PSU. Switch on power, boot up. Result?
If no improvement. Try the card in the PCI-E4 slot. Result?

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'll make sure to re-seat the Video-Card in the next PCI-E lane later this afternoon. I did notice there are several BIOS updates on the Asrock website as well that I have not played with. Would it be possible that a BIOS update might help the situation? If so, when doing a BIOS update should I do each one in order of release or jump to the latest?

As far as the SSD, this is my first bit of experience with one, how can I optimize it?

Edited by trokua, 04 April 2013 - 08:09 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I'll make sure to re-seat the Video-Card in the next PCI-E lane later this afternoon.

Reseat in slot 2 first swapping the cable over and if no improvement, try in slot 4.

BIOS updates

Just go to the latest update but, NB. I would be reluctant to update the BIOS with a system that might freeze, an interrupt could brick the MB.

I will give you a tutorial for optimizing the SSD later.

Do you have another Nvidia GPU, or can you borrow one to try in your computer?

Advertisements

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I do actually have an alternate Nvidia GPU that I can try today yes, so I'll try first the 2nd PCI-E slot and then I can try the backup GPU

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK, will await your reply.

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Alright, so before I tried anything I did verify that BIOS is actually at the current version

Attempted PCI-E slot 2 with video card and also tried my backup but still got frozen up.

I'm concerned now that it's either the SSD or the RAM

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.'Thanks for the update,
Q. Did you try both video cards in slot #4?? If no, please do so and if freezing stops, there is a fault on the MB. If freezing continues, RAM is the next test.

Please go to the link below, Read the Tutorial band follow instructions for using Memtest86+, Method 1 is the simplest way. With multiple sticks I use numbered envelopes to lay the RAM on and also lets you make any notes. \Remember to turn of the power and take anti static measures between every step.
Let us know the results.
NB. I do 4 or 5 passes for each stick and if all pass, do a test with 2 sticks installed for 7 or 8 passes then with all sticks installed overnight.

> http://www.sevenforu...-memtest86.html

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I will go ahead and try the RAM tutorial:

In answer to your question I'm afriad I only have 2 slots for PCI-E, and at the end of all my tests ended up leaving both video cards installed:

Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO
Nvidia GTX 550Ti

And noticed that freezing has occurred more frequently in situations that previously caused no issue, such as surfing the web in general.