Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand New Gaming System Freezes

• Please log in to reply

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I purchased a license and key from the Microsoft Online Store, from which they allow a download of the software and at the end of the donwload asks if I wish to burn to disc or file for USB installation.

They allow for a login to the Microsoft Store and to re-download the installation software.

Edited by trokua, 23 April 2013 - 08:48 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Thanks for the update and information, clears up my contusion.

I wondered if this might be a corrupted disc or perhaps it didn't burn correctly or I'd burned it too fast.

Corruption may have occurred whilst downloading or burning., I would download again, burn (4x) and verify.

Before OS install,
Ensure you have only the BOOT drive installed to SATA Socket #1. Optical drive installed to SATA #5. Two sticks of RAM. the GPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse.
Enter BIOS, . check time and date, > go to exit, > load defaults setting, > save and exit.
Restart, > enter BIOS, > check AHCI is selected, > Ensure cd/dvd is set to Boot first, > save setting and exit.
Install OS. > install Mobo drivers, > Update the OS, Update MB Drivers, > Run the GPU disk. I would not update video drivers yet. > Install anti virus.

Please do not install any other software at this stage.

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ensured that SSD is connected to Sata#1
Ensured that Optical is connected to Sata#5
Loaded Default BIOS settings
Restarted and verified that BIOS is reading as AHCI as well as first boot option is Optical Drive
Went to install OS Got the Windows 8 logo for about 3 minutes, then black screen. No response from Keyboard, no HDD LED's no activity from Optical Drive

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Been looking through the Gigabyte MB manual again. Some more tests to try. If no good results, I will ask if other Techs will review the topic to see if I have missed something.
The SATA sockets 4 & 5 are set at IDE by default so please reconnect the Optical SATA cable to SATA socket #3.
It is possible that the SATA cable to the OS drive is faulty, so a known working cable will rule that out.
> Connect the OS SATA DATA cable to socket #0,
Please check and make sure that the Keyboard and Mouse are connected via USB 2.0 Port.
with Windows installation disk in the Optical drive, > Boot the computer.

For this test to work, a PS/2 keyboard must be used.
With the Windows installation disk in the Optical drive.
> Boot and watch for the lights on the keyboard to flash??
If she still freezes, tap the numeric key about 5 times, Do any lights on the keyboard flash???

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Have also tried all options marked below. Reading through the negative reviews of this board from Newegg and it seems others are seeing similar problems as I have. Most seem to attribute it to faulty BIOS, and there's even a user who had the exact same problem with the ASRock board, tried to replace with Gigabyte board and has had the EXACT same bad luck as I have. RMA is still out on my ASRock board, and it looks like I'll need to get one on the Gigabyte as well. :/

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for keeping us informed. Please give us an update when you get the replacement board.

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ugh, so replacement board finally came right in the middle of me moving. Finally got her all hooked up and good to go last night, very excited. Began to install Windows (since the original install kept freezing), checked to make sure everything was set to defaults in BIOS and sata type was AHCI aaaaaaaand same problem. So ruled out Mobo!
Back to thinking I've either got a problem with CPU or maybe PSU

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Did you have only the OS drive, 2 sticks of RAM, optical drive, mouse, keyboard and monitor installed, nothing else?
At what point does the computer freeze.
Is there a code showing on the Dr Debug LED?

The only sure way to test the PSU is to take it to a computer store/repairer, must be tested under full load on proper test equipment. Many will perform the service free, advise to ring first before going.