Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unless power plug removed and put back computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply

direcode

direcode

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have FX540b gateway desktop, I am having strange problem, After I shut down my computer over night,or to 2 to 3 hours my computer won't start unless i remove power from motherboard and put it back. It starts fans turn on but nothing happens , no beeps nothing..

Please help

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: direcode

Possible causes may include a flaky power supply that is holding a charge when it has been turned off at the wall socket and/or a build up of static charge in the MB and components which is often caused by a build up of dust.

Can I ask when was the last time that the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I don't see much dust in there ,

It all started to happen when I try to add a ssd drive, i have removed it now cuse it is not working for me,

I think you are right something in there is holding charge, when I remove power supply from the back of the PSU and even after pushing power button 3, 4 to discharge any saved power, when I plug back power on PSU system starts without pushing power button.. it doesn't happen when i remove power from mother board and reconnects it..

Here is the image

Posted Image

Thank you

Edited by direcode, 10 March 2013 - 01:57 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the screenshot, it unfortunately does not show all the information that we need so as I advised you may need to can you run HWMonitor and provide a screenshot for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html feel free to uninstall Speedfan now if you do not wish to keep it.

From my earlier reply

Can I ask when was the last time that the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

What is the answer please.

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Here

Thanks

Edited by direcode, 11 March 2013 - 11:02 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Can you answer this please.

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
7 months

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks, that is not too long ago but it does depend on the amount of use and the environment.

The screenshots are showing different readings on the +12V rail so I would suggest that you confirm which one is correct by running Speccy and posting a screenshot, expand the motherboard tab to get these http://www.piriform.com/speccy again uninstall the software if you do not wish to keep it.

Try removing the memory sticks and the video card and blowing out the slots before replacing them securely.

What the PSU rails should read;

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok I will do it and post the results here

Thank you

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
here are the readings, i will open and clean the motherboard and let you know

i didn't get reading in the format like u attached pic

Posted Image
Thank you

Edited by direcode, 10 March 2013 - 05:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the screenshot :thumbsup:

The previous attachment that I provided is not part of Speccy it is a table that shows what the safe minimum and maximum output of a PSU must be for a computer to function correctly, if you look at the +12V rail readings in your HWMonitor and Speccy screenshots you will see that it is too low which suggests that there is a stability problem with the PSU.

We can check this with another program once you have done the cleaning that you have planned.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well it turnout to be one of the memory slot, I checked the slot with different dimms and it was repeating the problem, one slot was already dead before and now second one,now I just have ram in 2 slots, I guess Its time to build or buy a new computer

May be I will put specs here of the parts I am planning to buy, i would really appreciate if you guys can help me choose better one.

I learned alot in 2 days

Thanks alot

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
New System configuration link

http://www.geekstogo...-configuration/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are welcome direcode and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

I see colleague iammykyl is helping with your build topic so you are in good hands there :yes: