Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boots straight into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I am trying to help out a cousin who has a new computer that has grown old from sitting in a corner. It has only been used by her kids. They crashed it and know less about computers than I do (that is bad) and reinstalled XP Home eddition. I would like to learn how to go through this computer to get it right for her.

Here is all of the info I could find to provide you with:

PowerSpec Model 5500
PCI Express ATA 133 (info on the motherboard)
80 gb Seagate (hd)

When you turn on the computer the first screen that comes up is the logo PowerSpec;
That is followed by a black screen with white lettering that includes "Main processor : AMD Sempron™ Processor3100+";
"Memory Testing : 262144K OK with 32M shared memory"

It then has 7 lines of IDE Channel info followed by the extra bright lettering...
"Warning!! Now System is in safe mode.
Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup."

The bottom of the screen reads...
"Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup."
"07/05/2005-RS482-SB400-6A666E19C-00"

After pressing F1 a screen comes up to hit enter windows home edition.

At this point the blue sky/green hill screen comes up with four icons on it. "Install_Flashplayer", "Outlook express", "Internet Explorer" and "Recycle Bin".

It will log on to the internet.

Where do I start?

Thank you much!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello chuckgibson

Restart the computer and keep tapping the appropriate key to get into the BIOS (F2-Del for example) select the "default settings" for the MB, press F10 to save and then Y to accept the changes, allow the computer to boot up.

Is this a brand name computer such as Dell or HP or is it a custom built, I ask this so we know where to get driver updates from.

The first thing that I suggest you do is get both the operating system and any AV program fully up to date, if there is no AV installed download either Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials, both are free and light on resources while offering very good protection.

To check for Windows updates http://www.update.mi...n&&thankspage=5

Let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Hello chuckgibson

Restart the computer and keep tapping the F8 key to get into the BIOS, select the "default settings" for the MB, press F10 to save and then Y to accept the changes, allow the computer to boot up.

Is this a brand name computer such as Dell or HP or is it a custom built, I ask this so we know where to get driver updates from.

The first thing that I suggest you do is get both the operating system and any AV program fully up to date, if there is no AV installed download either Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials, both are free and light on resources while offering very good protection.

To check for Windows updates http://www.update.mi...n&&thankspage=5

Let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

I have tried repeatedly to get into BIOS by tapping f8 with no results. I have been able to get into a place tapping f10 that is titled "Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS CMOS Setup Utility" It has "Standard CMOS Features", Advanced BIOS Features" etc... There is also a place that has "Load Optimized Defaults" listed. Would this do us any good?

To the best of my knowledge she bought this froma computer store in Dallas several years ago. The only ID I can find on it is "PowerSpec".
I tried loading Avast on it last night with no luck. I don't remember why it said it would not load. Can you download anything like that in the safe mode?

The computer is now sitting with the Setup Utility screen showing until I hear back from you.
Thanks for your patience...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Sorry Chuck a slip up on my behalf which Wolfeymole kindly brought to my attention :thumbsup:

The selection that you are looking for should be in the same place that you saw load Optimized Defaults" listed.

You will recall that I asked if it was a brand name computer with reference to searching for drivers, this also has bearings on the keys used to access the BIOS and these keys can be among them Del, F1, F2, F11 and F12, F10 is commonly used to save any changes made.

You are welcome BTW and let us know if there are any problems with finding the default settings option.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Very good. I still do not see the "default settings" option. Should I hit the "Load Optimized Default" option to see this?

I have to head to a hospital to check on a relative so plese forgive me for taking a while to get back...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No please do not choose the "Load Optimized Default" option as it can make the computer unstable.

If you cannot find the option you could clear the CMOS by removing the CR2032 MB battery as that will also restore the default settings, we can help with this if required.

Just a FYI a list of the keys used to access the BIOS for anyone that may read this topic http://pcsupport.abo...osaccess_pc.htm

No worries about when you are able to reply family come first.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Success! I never could find the "default settings" option but by pulling the battery as you suggested, it cleared it. For anyone else reading this and learning as I am.... it took two tries at pulling the battery. The first time I pulled it out and stuck it right back in. The clock still read the current time. Next I pulled it out and let it stay out for about 3 or 4 minutes and the clock and date had to be reset.

Now I am trying to load Avast as you suggested and of course....it wont load. (my luck) Should I load this as save or run? I loaded it as run and the following message appeared in a box:

avast.setup- Unable to locate Component
This application has failed to start because WINHTTP.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Then there is a box to OK the message.
Can this be fixed?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update - I am pleased that you have made progress :thumbsup:

Try MSE instead of Avast but run the Avast uninstaller in case there was an aborted installation http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Before you install MSE check in Add/Remove Programs that there is no other AV software already present, if there is uninstall first.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You should also work at installing the windows updates.
Also, since the computer sat for quite a while, you may have to replace the cmos battery.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. I ran avast uninstall and tried to download ms essentials. There were two links to choose from:

1. ENUS\amd64\MSEInstall.exe
I tried that and got the message..."C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C9AFW9U7\MSEInstall[1].exe" is not a valid Win32 application.

2.ENUS\86\MSEInstall.exe
I tried this one and got this message..."The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

At this point I thought that maybe if I ran updates it would find what it needed. I went to Start, All Programs, Windows update and the internet went to http://support.micro...com/kb/2497281.
The band across the top of the screen reads "Can't access Windows Update from Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000- Microsoft Internet....

Went to http://www.microsoft...ad/default.aspx
Clicked on Microsoft update, "Keep your pc up to date with the latest security patches amd updates"
It told me to "click here" to turn on automatic updates. I clicked there...It brought up a file download box that asked me to download "MicrosoftFixit50777.msi.... It downloaded and then a box popped up that said "This Microsoft Fix it does not apply to your operating system or application version.

Then a box popped up from MS that said it would diagnose windows update problems so I clicked on it. The dreaded box came up that the computer had incountered a problem and had to close.

I do not know what service pack if any are in this computer so I went to try to download the latest service pack. It went to a page that said I need to upgrade my browser. It had a button to hit to download Internet Explorer 8. I clicked it and a box popped up that said "The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll.

Scrolling down there is a place that said I need XP SP2 or higher.

Checking out SP2 it says do not download it if you are only updating 1 computer. It says....now get this.....USE WINDOWS UPDATE!

I am trying to do some of this on my own because I know you guys have a life....Sorry...I need your help. lol. What do I do ??

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. I am having a hard time with this. After logging in and hitting "run test", a box pops up asking if I want to install and run "PCPitstop Utility". I take it this is the Active X program you spoke of. After clicking "Yes" a stop sign shows up saying "Load Timed Out". "It has taken more than two minutes to download th PC utility. It usually takes no more than a minute to download."

I wish I had more time to deal with this tonight but I must stop for now. Will be out of town. Be back Thursday PM.
Thanks!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No problem we will look out for an update when you are ready :thumbsup:

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. I will be in and out on this. If you have found anything I can try just let me know. Every time I find another suggestion on here I will try it.
Thanks!

Edited by chuckgibson, 14 March 2013 - 04:30 PM.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK Folks, I'm stuck. Any more suggestions?
Thanks!