Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boots straight into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Please elaborate what you mean by "stuck"

Advertisements

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Just letting you guys know that I am ready for more ideas to try. Everytime I have a minute I check to see if there are any more replys. BTW, thanks for all of the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hello chuckgibson

As per my reply #16

Please elaborate what you mean by "stuck"

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
After clicking "scan this system" in PC Pitstop a box pops up asking if I want to install and run "PCPitstop Utility". I click "yes" and the screen shows it is loading. Then it quickly shows a stop sign and says "PC Pitstop did not load" "NOTE: If you are using Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, or later, look at the top of this page and see if the Yellow Information Bar is displaying a message about PC Pitstop. If so, click the Information Bar and select "Install ActiveX Control". I look but there is no Information Bar displayed...

Sorry about this phillpower2, I actually typed this out a couple of days ago and must have done something wrong because it is not displayed on this board. Something else weird went on, I received a notification in my email saying someone else replyed to this thread but it is not here...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

Have you installed all important XP updates including any missing service packs.

Try PCPitstop again and keep a check on the area directly under the browser bar for the activex notification, it does not display for long and can easily be missed, if no joy manually download and install it http://www.microsoft...vex-whatis.aspx

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I read that you have to download the service packs in order. After finding service pack 1 I tried downloading it. It asked if I wanted to archive the files and I clicked yes. It started downloading and then a box popped up that said "Service Pack 1 Setup Error". "The server could did not respond". I tried downloading it without archiving the files with the same results...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
From your OP

reinstalled XP Home eddition

Is this a genuine Windows full retail XP disk, an OEM disk such as Dell, HP etc or a burned copy.
Unless the disk is one of the first releases it will most likely have SP1 included and so already be installed.

Check for any other updates since you last updated http://www.update.mi...n&&thankspage=5

Windows updates also provides service packs so check what updates have been installed "how to"
Go to Device Manager and then to Add/Remove Programs
Click the box on the top that says Show All Updates

Check for service packs and let us know what is listed.

For downloading service packs http://windows.micro...oad#sptabs=win8

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
It was a genuine retail disk but it did not come with the computer. One of their friends had it and loaned it to them. According to them, the XP disk was installed and the computer only turned on once or twice before being set on a shelf untouched.

Went to Start, All Programs, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System, Hardware, then Device Manager. I can find no box that says "Show All Updates".

Going here... http://windows.micro...oad#sptabs=win8, a screen popped up with "Windows 8" saying "Its time to upgrade your browser".

Clicked "Download Now", It asked if I wanted to Open it or Save it, I clicked Open, the same box popped up and I clicked Open again. It started downloading and then another box popped up that said "iesetup.exe - Entry Point Not Found", The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll".

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
You want Add/Remove programs in the Device Manager - no worries as your update tells us what we needed to know, try installing service pack 2 and 3 from the link please http://windows.micro...oad#sptabs=win8

You are getting that error message because you do not have service pack 2 or 3 installed.

At the link that I provided you want the XP option as in the screenshot below;

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You should be going to start/control panel/add or remove programs.
At the very top is a little box that you should check (if it isn't) for "show updates".

You should also go to Windows updates and see what is offered.

Advertisements

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

You want Add/Remove programs in the Device Manager - no worries as your update tells us what we needed to know, try installing service pack 2 and 3 from the link please http://windows.micro...oad#sptabs=win8

You are getting that error message because you do not have service pack 2 or 3 installed.

At the link that I provided you want the XP option as in the screenshot below;

When I try to go to the link you provided it goes directly to the "Windows 8" "It's time to upgrade your browser".

I tried going to Geeks To Go website on the problem computer thinking that I might go to this thread and click on the link you provided and a box came up saying "Internet cannot open the Internet Site http://www.geekstogo.com/. Operation aborted

I rebooted the computer, tried going to the link again and got the same results.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
It sounds like you have internet access on the problem computer.
Open up a Internet Explorer web page. Search for "windows update".
Then go to that page.

This link is windows update also: Windows update.

I am beginning to think there is something really messed up when the OS was re-installed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Odd as I get http://windows.micro...nload#sptabs=xp

Alternative link http://en.kioskea.ne...-windows-xp-sp2

NB: The same update approach was suggested in replies #2 and #22 123Runner

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

You should be going to start/control panel/add or remove programs.
At the very top is a little box that you should check (if it isn't) for "show updates".

You should also go to Windows updates and see what is offered.

There is no box that says "Show Updates". There are three boxes, 1. Change or remove programs; 2. Add New Programs; 3. Add/Remove Windows Components;

I went to Windows Updates and the Support page comes up. The bar across the top of the screen reads "Can't access Windows Update from Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000 - Microsoft Internet.....

I scrolled down and followed the directions. Click Start, Run, type sysdm.cpl, then click OK; Turn on automatic updates,,,They were already on; Click Start, Run, type cmd, and then click OK; A screen came up with a heading bar that reads- C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe; In the black box there is white lettering that reads...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\username>

The instructions say...Type wuauclt/detectnow, then press Enter; When I typed it, it looked like this... C:\Documents and Settings\username>wuauclt/detectnow;

At that point the curser moved down with the same line that it had before... C:\Documents and Settings\username>

I closed that screen. It says wait an hour then scan for updates again. Below that it says Click here to download the latest windows updates.

Then a window popped up saying "Microsoft Fix It"; It says that the troubleshooter will diagnose and fix common problems with windows update. I clicked Run Now;

A box popped up "IE has encountered a problem and must close" I clicked "Don't Send" and it of course closed IE.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

It sounds like you have internet access on the problem computer.
Open up a Internet Explorer web page. Search for "windows update".
Then go to that page.

This link is windows update also: Windows update.

I am beginning to think there is something really messed up when the OS was re-installed.

I went to the link you provided and the bar across the top of the screen reads..Cannot find server-Microsoft I E