Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boots straight into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Free version http://www.filehippo...on_master_home/

Advertisements

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. I used the Partition master and deleted the partition. Now I still get the option for which system to open but they both work. They both also seem to be identical. They both have Avast as well as EaseUS Partition Master on them. I kind of thought that the second OS would be bare as far as the changes and additions you have helped me make. What is the next step?

OK phillpower2, You will be proud of me. I right clicked on "My Computer";
Selected "Properties", Went to the Advanced tab inside of the System Properties Window; In the Startup and Recovery Field I clicked on the "Settings" button. I unclicked the "Time to display list of operating systems" and rebooted. It went straight into opening.

What is the next lesson....er....I mean step? lol

Edited by chuckgibson, 24 March 2013 - 02:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Sorry for the delayed response, not had a minute to myself with work ATM.

Please do a disk clean-up now, to start disk cleanup: Open My Computer -> right click drive C: -> select Properties -> Disk cleanup -> in the list you should see an option for "Delete previous installation".

Once this is done let us know and I will provide some maintenance tips to improve the computers overall performance, don`t worry the tips are all software based <_<

Good to see you finding your way around XP and the computer BTW :thumbsup:

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Sorry for the delayed response, not had a minute to myself with work ATM.

Please do a disk clean-up now, to start disk cleanup: Open My Computer -> right click drive C: -> select Properties -> Disk cleanup -> in the list you should see an option for "Delete previous installation".

Once this is done let us know and I will provide some maintenance tips to improve the computers overall performance, don`t worry the tips are all software based <_<

Good to see you finding your way around XP and the computer BTW :thumbsup:

I ran the disc clean up but there was no option to "delete previous installation". I am curious about the two OS options that I was showing. We have only been working on the first OS on the list as the second one would not open up. Yet when I used the Partition Master you prescribed the second option opened up just fine ...... It is identical to the OS you have been helping me with including all of the changes like the installation of Avast. How could that system have Avast installed in it if it has never been opened? Is it possible that there is only one OS installed and for some reason it has two links showing to get in to it?

Please don't worry about the delay in responding, I am just thankful that you are taking time out of your life to help me and teach me something! I go out of town every Wednesday and do not get back until Thursday afternoon. As soon as I get in the house I check to see if you have left anything for me to keep you from waiting...
Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Can I ask how the computer is behaving/running at present.

When you return on Thursday can you run PCPitstop again for us and post an updated url with your next reply please.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
For some reason when I turned the computer on tonight it seemed to run slower than it has been....This may have also been partially due to Avast loading updates. As old as this computer is I know it is not going to run very fast anyway. I will check it again tomorrow and check the PCPitstop recommendations.

The URL for the updated test is:
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

Thanks!

Edited by chuckgibson, 28 March 2013 - 09:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the update Chuck :thumbsup:

You will need a blank CD for the following which is to make a back up/clone of the HDD, please see http://www.easeus.co...y/home-edition/

Let us know when you have done the above please.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. The CD is made. I realized that during all of this time I have not hooked up speakers to this computer. I hooked them up but I have no sound... What do I do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Have you checked the back up disk to make sure that it was a clean burn (you can open files on the disk etc).

RE: The sound issue, check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

What type of speakers do you have as in do they require their own drivers and power supply.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Here is a screenshot of the opened disk. Should I actually try to open these files?HD Clone.JPG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Check the contents of the two folders only.

What did you find in the Device Manager any yellow ! or red Xs.

What type of speakers do you have as in do they require their own drivers and power supply.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
It appears that the folders do have something in them but one thing that alarms me, it says that the disk is completely maxed out. There is no more room on the disk. I am concerned as to whether or not there were files that did not get put on before it ran out of room. A box popped up that said the download was successful. Should I do this again with a DVD?

I had to take the computer down and put it away to make room for a family function. Should get it back up and running a little later... Sorry for the delay.
Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
If you have any doubts then yes burn another copy and be sure to watch it like a hawk :D

No worries about when you can reply family comes first :thumbsup:

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I burned another CD and ended up with the same thing. It also said that the process was successful.

The speakers are Logitech and they are powered and plugged in. I unplugged them from my other computer and moved them over to this one. (So I know they work)

I made some screen shots to make sure that I was looking at what you wanted me to in the Device Manager.

The Device Manager: Device Manager.JPG

Video and Sound Controllers clicked on:Sound Controllers.JPG

Hope this tells you what you are asking.
Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
The audio driver that is installed is 12yrs old so may explain the problem.

Run DriverMax and see what driver updates are suggested http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/

NB: Please note that you can only download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar".

You can either wait and let us know what is suggested before proceeding with any driver updates or if driver updates for the MBs chipset and audio device are offered download and install them and post back with an update for us.