Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boots straight into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
phillpower2, You are good! I ran DriveMax and installed an audio driver and also a family fast internet driver (Whatever that is) and I have sound. It had other suggested downloads but I don't know what they are so I made a couple of screen shots so you can tell me if I need them. My cousin will most likely only surf the internet and listen to youtube music on this when she gets it back.
Drivr1.JPG
Drivr2.JPG

I have a couple of dumb questions...
1. What is a driver? Is it just computer information stored in the motherboard?

2. When I ran a full system scan on Avast it shows that I go through 8+ gigs of info. How can that be stored on one cd when I made the clone? Is this normal? (I'm scared that I did something wrong)

Thank you again for your patience in teaching!

This thing was killing me running so slow. I looked in a couple of other computers that have been given to me lately and found a stick of ram that matched what is in this computer and added it. It blew my mind what a difference it made. She really needs to invest a few dollars in this and add a LOT of ram! I don't know how ram works but it works well!

Edited by chuckgibson, 02 April 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Driver updates are often released in order to address known problems with a device, I never recommend updating drivers unless you are having the issue that the driver update is intended to fix (if it ain`t broke don`t fix it).

1: Driver explanation http://windows.micro...hat-is-a-driver

2: Cannot explain this, if all is well don`t worry about it.

Adding the Ram has demonstrated to you how much the performance can be improved for a reasonable cost.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. What is the next step I should take?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
We are all done this end and the rest is up to your good self now Chuck :thumbsup:

Things I suggest are upgrade the Ram to the max the MB will accept (which you are aware of already) keep Windows the AV and other important programs fully up to date, run TFC weekly http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 and finally only defrag the HDD every few months and no more.

Any testing software that we have used can be removed now we are done or at your discretion should you wish to retain it.

Good luck and any other questions please ask, we are here to help.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Excellant!! I can't thank you enough for the help and education. I will be getting back to another computer that I put off to work on this one in a few days. I'm sure you will see it pop back up. You have left me with one more question though. You said only defrag a computer every few months and no more. Why shouldn't you defrag more?

Thanks again, you are awesome!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Chuck,

Defragging a HDD exerts stress on it so the more that you defrag it the harder it works, this was why I suggested using TFC to get rid of any stray data.

NB: If you need assistance with another computer can you please start a new topic and we will assist you there, this will avoid any possible mix up with specs etc, thanks :thumbsup: