Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Disk Boot Failure" Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

mishelle

mishelle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there! There have been numerous posts on this topic however none of which have offered a solution. I have a custom built (ready to use) PC that is a couple of years old running XP. In the last few months, sometimes when started up it will fail saying "Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disks and Press Enter". Most of the time I can manage to get past it by taking the hard drive out and re-inserting then rebooting. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening permanently? Would a new HD and/or cables fix the issue? I have little knowledge of this topic so all help is hugely appreciated! Thanks, Mishelle.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Mishelle and welcome to Geeks To Go.

The message is the standard warning that the hard drive is dead or dying so it definitely needs replacing.

If it's only a couple of years old then the machine will probably be using sata cabless for power and data and they should be ok.

When you remove the dead hard drive have a look at the date of manufacture on it as a two year life span seems rather short.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Possible reasons

1- Failing Hard Drive, download the manufacturer of your Hard Drive bootable diagnostic program and test your HD

2- Defective Data cable (Sata or Pata) re^lacve it and see if it helps.

3- Defective power cable to your HD, replace it by another (if any are free)

4- Defective Power Supply (it works enough to make your PC starts but sometimes at startup not enough power to make your HD start so BIOS does not see your HD)

Hope that helps