Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no boot sector found!

• Please log in to reply

jchunk

jchunk

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hey everyone! Im on a dell dimension e521 Athlon w/bios 1.1.6 (award?)with one pci slot populated for NIC. s the bios cannot see the sata hard drive. I reset to factory settings twice, changed Boot order and ran install disk (XP)flashed cmos, checked connection and pins, disabled raid (not using raid)and still bios cannot see Hard drive to boot. Specific error " no boot sector found" Setup for install disk stops when it needs to access hd as it cannot locate drive. Than i got a fail diskette read 0 which i am assuming is related to the battery as i do not have a floppy drive. Thank you for taking the time to read this you all are awesome!!! :thumbsup: :help:

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
To get the floppy question out of the way first all you need to do is disable the floppy drive in the bios mate even though the machine physically does not have a floppy drive.

It's just a quirky Dell thing.

Did you try doing the install of XP using XP SP3 as only Service Pack 3 contains sata drivers.

jchunk

jchunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hey thanks for responding. Yeah it's sp3. I don't even get a noticeable start up spin when powered on. The hd is right by a cooling system w/ fan but I should hear it right? Maybe it just DIED? :confused: