Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building A new system (parts configuration)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
An alternative less expensive quality brand PSU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139040

The GTX 650 Ti is fine for a budget card and the price reflects the fact that it is only 128-bit, for your intended use I would suggest a minimum 192-bit card but preferably 256-bit for the better video quality.

Advertisements

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
How About this one then

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121704

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
I very nearly suggested the same model of card in my last reply http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok going to pickup my stuff will update with pic hopefully

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Ok, iammyky or myself should be around should you have any questions.

Tip, it is always advisable to do a barebones set-up outside of the case to ensure that all parts are working before you go go to the trouble of assembling them in the case, see my canned text below for "how to" (please note that this is an excerpt from a troubleshooting guide when a new build will not function and was not tested outside of the case first).

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until all items are confirmed as working.

Any questions regarding this please ask.

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK guys I got my stuff excited to start on this, I will test mob outside the box, should I test ram on each slot to be sure ?

Posted Image

Ready to go

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
That`s what I like to see a no nonsense approach :D

You will need to refer to the MBs user manual regarding the Ram as some MBs will only boot if there is Ram in slot 1 every time, this is often the bank that is nearest to the CPU, good idea though and you could do slots 1 and 2, 1 and 3 then 1 and 4, reverse the procedure so that you know that both sticks work in each slot.

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK SYSTEM IS UP AND RUNNING :) Cheers!!

I didn't see any driver's DVD so I had to download them on my laptop

Posted Image

Edited by direcode, 16 March 2013 - 06:35 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Apolagize guys for this post. For some reason, not yet worked out, not receiving undated posts, even when refreshing the page before downloading.

Looks like I missed the party.

Your welcome.

PSU is very good, just a bit overkill for your build, 650W would be more than enough, even with over-clocking. > http://www.funkykit....er-supply.html.

You can partition a storage drive but not good practice to partition the Boot drive where you have the OS and programs, this will tend to bottleneck your system.
What HDD do you have at the moment?.

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ya i guess but I wanted to buy things which were available in local store so that i can return them easily I have $20 rebate of this PSU , $20 on graphic card, $10 on the case. I think I should wait a week to sent these receipt for rebate..

i did partition my hard drive , seagate 7200 , when I have little more money from my clients I will buy ssd and will use this as storage

I should run some benchmark tests to see the performance what should I use?

I need to check graphic card I play wow alot but I need to copy it to this system

Posted Image

thanks

Edited by direcode, 16 March 2013 - 08:19 PM.

Advertisements

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Core Temp is under 50 on WOW with stock fan..Thats nice

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Wise decision taking the advice of iammykyl and ditching the aftermarket cooler which also saved you almost $30.

If there was no drivers disk supplied with your MB I would email ASRock customer support and request one.

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ya I am glad I took advice of you guys on Cooler, graphics card and motherboard, I must say this case which I got is very good, It runs quite, you don't even know computer is running if your eyes don't catch led lights on the case, one more thing this case has reset button hidden behind the front door and power button outside, which is very good.

How ever I am having one little problem, I can't figure out why motherboard speaker is not working, I plugged it on the motherboard but it is not giving me beeps at the startup

Thanks

Edited by direcode, 17 March 2013 - 12:11 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

I plugged it on the motherboard but it is not giving me beeps at the startup

Is the speaker connected to the MB as in the + and the ground.
Can the speaker be disabled in the BIOS.

As an asides the speaker should only beep once on a successful boot.

direcode

direcode

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I didn't find anything in the bios relating to speaker, I will keep digging I guess