Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Requires Constant Reboot Due to Stalled Programs

• Please log in to reply

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
When I enter net stop winmgmt then ENTER it asks if I want to proceed. When I enter "Y" it states

"The Security Center service could not be stopped."

The service is not responding to the control function.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186"

Advertisements

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
This was after disabling AVG

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Uninstall AVG again please, reboot and try those steps again. Hold off on reinstalling AVG for now.

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
After removing AVG and rebooting I still receive the Security Error stating "Antivirus software may not be installed".

I can select, but can not open any applications or start the Command prompt (Start-Run-CMD-OK).. When moving the cursor over that Task Bar or over the Security "balloon" an hour glass appears.

I am using a secondary computer to continue this discussion.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Follow the steps here to uninstall Service Pack 3. Reboot, then go here (ignore the mentions that it is a networked package) and download and reinstall Service Pack 3. Reboot, and check for improvement.

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am unable to find Service Pack 3 on the Add/Remove, even with Show updates selected. Is it listed as that, or an update with a KB reference? Based on the information in the link to redownload it it looks like it might be KB936929 which is not displayed on the Add/Remove list.

When trying to use the hidden Uninstaller (option 2) I receive an error stating the this refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disc is properly inserted.

Trying option 3 will not start at all after entering the command line. I am restarting the computer again to see if I can get this to work without having done steps 1 or 2.

Option 4 will not work. I get an error when I try to open the Windows Recovery stating

"An error has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

The code at the bottom reads:

STOP: 0x00000073 (0xf78D6630, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I was able to get the System Recovery window to open, but it only goes back until December 2012 which read "Software Distribution Service 3.0". This is listed on several dates since so I do not believe it is SP3.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Go to Start - Run, and type the following (Enter after):

chkdsk /r

It will likely find volumes in use and ask if you want it to run on reboot - select Y for yes, then reboot. This will scan for files as well a locate and repair bad sectors of the disk.

Go ahead and reboot, and let Check Disk run at startup and see if it locates and fixes problem areas.

Check for improvement after that.

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
That was part of the recommended resolution for the "Windows shutting down" error so I attempted that last night. There has been no improvement and I am not able to locate the Windows XP Service Pack 3 installation.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
I have to check, since it was one of the reasons for chkdsk.

When trying to use the hidden Uninstaller (option 2) I receive an error stating the this refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disc is properly inserted.

You tried that again?

Advertisements

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I performed the CHKDSK /R again. When it completed and restarted I had the Windows XP CD installed and started from the CD. When the option to select F2 to start Windows Automated System Recovery was available I proceeded with that. The first screen to appear showed:

Please insert the disk labeled:
Windows Automated System Recovery Disk
in to the floppy drive.
Press any key when ready.

Since Windows XP was from a CD I can't figure out why it asks for a floppy disk and have not progressed beyond that screen.

Please advise

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
I'm kinda at a loss on what you are trying to accomplish there now. Are you trying to reinstall Windows, or do a Repair Install? I may have missed you mentioning it, but wasn't aware you had the XP CD. Have you tried just holding the power button to shut down the computer, then reboot to stop the System Recovery from running?

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Follow the steps here to uninstall Service Pack 3. Reboot, then go here (ignore the mentions that it is a networked package) and download and reinstall Service Pack 3. Reboot, and check for improvement.

In Method 4 of the initial "here" it states that I should try to access the System Restore Process. Since the previous three methods were not showing the Service Pack 3 install so that I could remove them I was trying to use that method.

Thanks!

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
So are you back to booting normally? If so, and you have the XP CD, we can do a Repair Install, which is basically updating an existing XP install to XP, which will overhaul all Windows functions.

kirkbu

kirkbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It is booting, but I still get the 0.5 second prompt as to whether to start Windows XP, Recovery option, or Debug mode. And, upon booting the Security Center still shows the "Antivirus software may not be installed" which I guess is now accurate since we uninstalled AVG.