Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't find primary slave

• Please log in to reply

grim4o4

grim4o4

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My computer is having this issue where though i have a second hard drive plugged it, it can't seem to find it. In BIOS it shows up. But when I go to my computer it can't find it. I read an earlier post that said I should format the drive but it has all of my old files on it so I'd really rather not do that. I found a program that found all my old files when I ran it, but it was a demo. So it only let me recover things under 64kb. So it was fairly useless. If anyone can tell me how I can get my computer to find my second drive it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you using FAT32 or NTFS file system on that drive?
Also, has it just got the one partition on it?

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Not to step on anyones toes, and not that i would likely follow my suggestion anytime soon... but might you consider buying the software? It might have a future use, and if its somewhat affordable for you, why not? Better then gambling... and if you dont have a future use for it and its fairly pricey you could try selling the code for it on ebay at somewat of a discount... people will buy almost anything... myself for instance...oh, and perhaps you might have to put jumpers on it... i know my laptop wont accept secondary harddrives on a usb without jumpers while my desktop will... give that a thought or two if Samm is wrong.... it mihgt happen someday :tazz:

Edited by Destructo Roboto, 06 June 2005 - 09:45 PM.

grim4o4

grim4o4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm using FAT32 on my secondary drive.
Actually it says its upartitioned space but theres still files on it, I know because I saw using a recovery program like I said.

I did invest in norton systemworks so I can recover my files once my computer actually finds the drive. My new drive is mounted normally not through USB so I'm not sure what you mean, and it does have jumpers on it. I've run through all the possible configurations. I can only get it to run if my new drive is the master and my old drive is the slave. It might be helpful to note that my new drive won't run without the old drive still plugged in, and the old drive won't run by itself. :tazz:

Edited by grim4o4, 07 June 2005 - 08:26 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Destructo Roboto :
You have got a point re. buying the software - I believe the utility he was using for files under 64k is Active undelete. - in which case it costs $40 USD.
It isn't gonna be a laptop if it has a primary slave drive though!

grim4o4
Please tell me you haven't used Norton on the drive since you've has this problem. And if you haven't, then don't, at least not until you've exhausted every other possible option.

OK, can you download this program (freeware) :
http://www.download....page&tag=button

Create a folder in the root of the C drive called mbrtool
Extract the files from the download into it, then run the mbrtool.exe file.

When the menu opens, select option 2 to auto backup MBRs to file.
Then select option 3 to auto backup track 0 to file.

Next select option 4 [work with mbr]
Select option 5 [dump to text file]
when asked for the disk ID number, enter 1 (this assumes you DO NOT have a third hard drive in your system.
For source, enter O (thats letter O, not zero)
In a second or so, it will confirm that the dump was successful, just press ESC to quit.

Open the mbrtool folder you created, and locate the file called mbrtool.dmp.
Rename this mbrtool.txt & attach it to your next post.

grim4o4

grim4o4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I followed all the steps and on the last one it gave me an error and instead of creating mbrtools.dmp it said "-! Could not read/write selected disk (RC=FF81)
any suggestions?

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I didnt mean i have it hooked directly into my computer, i have one of those external cases for disk drives and standard harddrives, actually you might consider buying one, thier multipurpose and somewwhat useful, when i bought mine off of ebay it came with a dvd burner in it that was rather sweet at the time, i payed like somewher under 100$ for itan got nero 5.something which i upgraded to 6.0 ... one of my better and rarer moments on ebay where i was rather pleased with a risky purchase... and no, I dont sell em or get commision... but it mihgt help you if you wana wait for it and dont want to take it to a professional for recovery, and then youl hav the case for whenever you might use it whether bringing a drive over to a friends house to transver files or enable a laptop to use a dvd burner without any overpriced built in stuff. It connects via usb, heres the style i bought... though its only 20$ dollers now with no dvd burner or software.. eh...
http://cgi.ebay.com/...5205403945&rd=1
But another way to recover the software might become available... not to mention it may not work but mine does so... if you wana risk more money who knows...

Edited by Destructo Roboto, 07 June 2005 - 01:15 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I followed all the steps and on the last one it gave me an error and instead of creating mbrtools.dmp it said "-! Could not read/write selected disk (RC=FF81)
any suggestions?

View Post

Yeah I know exactly what that means. It means you have to run mbrtool from a pure dos environment - something in windows is not allowing you access to the boot sector.

Download a windows98 boot disk from here :
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
select the win98se custom - no ram drive

Insert a blank floppy & run the file you downloaded, this will create the boot disk for you. When it done, copy the mbrtool.exe to the floppy.
Boot the system from the floppy disk (you may need to change the boot priority in the bios so floppy is the first in the list). When booted, from the A> prompt, type mbrtool.exe & follow the previous instructions but skip the first two instructions (option 2 & 3). The tool will dump the file mbrtool.dmp to the floppy.

Exit mbrtool & reboot normally to windows. Copy the mbrtool.dmp to the c drive, rename to mbrtool.txt & attach it to post.

grim4o4

grim4o4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't have any floppis big enough to hold all of that. After putting the windows98se custom on I only have 2kb left and mbrtools.exe is 156kb. the biggest floppy I have is 1.38mb. Should I use 2 floppies? or pur it on a cd?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry, didn't realise the boot disk was that large - the custom ones are often smaller.

Just delete some stuff of the boot disk, eg scandisk, format, fdisk, edit, extract, deltree, scanreg - just delete any that are in this list as you won't be needing them. Scandisk.exe alone takes up nearly 150KB.

You should have room for the mbrtool then.

grim4o4

grim4o4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've sort of got this new problem. Windows recognizes the drive but it still has nothing on it. I used this program called r-studio to see if my files were still there after my friends father got the drive back for me however it will only recover things smaller than 64kb and that's pretty tiny. So I was wondering if you could recommend a program that will recover my files and cost me little to no money. Thank you again for your help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The program that only recovers files under 64K in size, is restricted cuz its a demo (shareware probably) version. If you were to register it (ie buy a license) it should recover all files for you. It sounds like you are using Active @ Undelete, in which case you can purchase the license for around $40.

Otherwise, try this website, it contains a mixture of shareware & freeware utilities, so be careful of any restrictions such as the 64K limit, that the shareware versiosn may have :

http://majorgeeks.com/downloads8.html

To be honest with you though, the more programs etc you use to recover the files with, the less chance each successive one will have of recovering any correctly. This is because certain utilities like these may make slight alterations to the drive as part of their normal operation. This can make it more difficult for a different utility to recover files afterwards.

If you have found one that works (ie the one you've been using for files <64K), then I would be tempted to buy a license & just use that one. Data recovery programs rarely come free or very cheap if they're actually any good!

Ima Kid :(

Ima Kid :(

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i almost have the same problem but thats not the message appearing. mine says Boot from CD: disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter. This message only appears when the primary slave is not there and my primary slave is 2 partitioned hard drives that is now 1.... any help????????? ima kid so i dont know this stuff.... :D