Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Keyboard Combos to Trigger other Keys

• Please log in to reply

pbasswil

pbasswil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there; newbie to Windows here. I'm looking to customize my keyboard for my workflow.

I don't primarily want to trigger shortcuts; I want to make key combinations that will trigger other key combinations!

Why? Because I often am doing different things with each hand -- like operating the computer with my left, and holding a pencil with the other.
Other times it may be reversed: I may be playing a music keyboard with my left hand and controlling the computer with my right.

So I want often-used keys and commands to be convenient to access by blind touch from either side of the keyboard -- without me having to look at the keyboard and reach.

For instance: I want to be able to hit Return & Backspace from key combinations on the left side of the keyboard -- without actually remapping those physical keys. (E.g., I've set my Mac up so I can trigger Return/Enter with Command-Esc .)
And I want key combos on the right side that duplicate Tab and Esc.

On Mac there are any number of little intuitive key-command programs that can do this (I like "Spark"), but on Windows the approach seems to always be shortcut-centered, rather than transposition of keyboard codes.
I have to say that the big hotkey programs -- like AutoHotkey, Keyboard Manager, etc. -- seem to be awfully complicated for the simple job I'm describing. They can probably do the job, but do I need to invest so many hours to learn how?

Any suggestions? (Ideally without having to learn a scripting language.) Thanks in advance!

- Peter

Edited by pbasswil, 12 March 2013 - 06:11 PM.

Advertisements