Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Crash Dumps - How to Remove (Windows 7)

• Please log in to reply

ReturnOfMario

ReturnOfMario

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

Could anyone please tell me how to remove any crash dumps that consume space in my C:\ drive? I've tried everything but to no avail, since there are no such files in my drive. These occur whenever I have to shut my computer down cold if it doesn't respond for any reason.

Also, I can't seem to locate them with the WinDirStat program yet, so anyone familiar with this program please help me locate where crash dump files are stored on the C:\ drive.

EDIT 3-12-2013, 10:56 PM: I was able to retrieve some of that space in the <Unknown> folder by deleting the System Restore points, which supposedly also contains the crash dumps. But, I still want to know how to free up the other 843.8 MB. I had also reconfigured my Memory Dump size from Kernel Memory Dump to a 256K small Memory Dump.

Thank you,

Ben Edge

Edited by ReturnOfMario, 13 March 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Advertisements

ReturnOfMario

ReturnOfMario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think it would help if I've attached a screenshot of my ordeal. Currently, the size of the <Unknown> folder is 843.8 MB (before I deleted the System Restore points it was at 3-4 GB).

~Ben

Attached Thumbnails

• WinDirStat_0001.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,090 posts
Dumps are in C:\windows\Minidump. You should be able to navigate there using Windows Explorer or Computer and delete them.

ReturnOfMario

ReturnOfMario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had recently done another hard (cold) shutdown (this being desirable only when your computer fails to respond; fails to shut down properly) and all of a sudden more GBs are wasted on my C:\ drive. And all that space is in the <Unknown> folder according to WinDirStat. What should I do to recover hard disk space that was taken by hard shutdowns???

Thank you,

Ben Edge

Attached Thumbnails

• Image2.png

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,090 posts
What is in the <Unknown> folder?

A hard shutdown should not be using up hard drive space, other than dumps it may produce prior to the hang.

Also, what is in the <Files> folder? Ive never seen either of these before.

ReturnOfMario

ReturnOfMario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

What is in the <Unknown> folder?

A hard shutdown should not be using up hard drive space, other than dumps it may produce prior to the hang.

Also, what is in the <Files> folder? Ive never seen either of these before.

Most recently I deleted all my System Restore points including the latest-produced one (by going to Computer > Properties > System Protection > Protection Settings > Configure > Disk Space Usage > Delete), which returned my C:\ drive back up to 428 GB.

Again, such space-hogging files resulting from these hard shutdowns, the problem is they're not actually in the dumps folder, and the elevated Disk Cleanup privileges only delete System Restore points except for the last one created.

~Ben

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,090 posts
But what is in the <Unknown> folder?

ReturnOfMario

ReturnOfMario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

But what is in the <Unknown> folder?

All those System Restore points (which I've deleted since) and some other files. Like I said earlier, I've yet to figure out the rest apart from the System Restore points.

~Ben

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,090 posts
How big is your C: drive? It looks like 40GB. If so that's pretty small.

You could use CCleaner to keep the junk on your hard drive under control, though it doesn't do anything with the System Volume Information folder (what I think <Unknown really is) where System Restore points and other things are stored.

ReturnOfMario

ReturnOfMario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

How big is your C: drive? It looks like 40GB. If so that's pretty small.

You could use CCleaner to keep the junk on your hard drive under control, though it doesn't do anything with the System Volume Information folder (what I think <Unknown really is) where System Restore points and other things are stored.

The total drive size is 465 GB.

~Ben

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,090 posts
That's the entire drive. It looks like, from the WinDirStat image you posted that the C: partition (I said drive before, meant partition) is 49GB. If so making it bigger would eliminate any concern about the space restore points or minidumps take.

Doesn't answer your question though. I know SVI is used for more then system restore but I can't find anything about what exactly is put in there and by who.