Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ntldr is missing

• Please log in to reply

Cheekybastard

Cheekybastard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Every time I turn on my laptop the screen shows me a message that states:
"NTRLD is missing
Press ctrl +alt + del to restart"
I've already tried to reinstall the missing file via USB but when my computer boots from the USB and I press 'Y' it takes me to an error screen that states:
"Windows has disabled direct disk access to protect your long file names. To over ride this protection see the LOCK/? command for more information. This system had been halted. Press ctrl + alt + del to restart your computer ."
When I try and unlock the disk it will tell me the locking operation failed.
Things I've noticed:
My command prompt will being with 'A:\>'

I have a laptop that doesn't have a disk slot for cd. And I'd really like to keep all the files on my computer if its possible. Help?

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Cheeky and welcome to Geeks To Go.

In the old days this was the error message when someone had left a floppy disk in the drive, however depending on whether you are running Windows NT or 95 there are two different solutions.

Windows NT

Windows 95

KendyBrown

KendyBrown

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The ntlddr is the files that systems uses to boot. ntldr is missing may be caused by computer is booting from a non-bootable source,hard drive is not properly setup in CMOS, corrupt Ntldr and Ntdetect.com file, misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
I suggest you to fix this issue with software, it is much more convenient and effective. You can download Tenorshare Windwos Boot Genius, a multiple windows repair tool which can be used to fix all computer errors, create bootable CD/USB, recover data lost and unlock windows password, etc as the the tool to fix the issue.