Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old PC - Boot from Disc Problem

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I finally got around to looking at a few older PCs (2 belonged to my brother, and 1 to my nephew). First of all, I can't get 2 of them to boot up which is another problem entirely. But, for the PC that does boot, it is password protected (Windows 7) and my nephew has no idea what his old password was.

I downloaded "PC Login Now" which is a password recovery tool for Windows. I burned the .iso file to a disc successfully. Also, I changed the boot sequence on the PC to "boot from cd-rom" first, which brought up the "press any key to boot from disc:" text. However, when I hit the keys it just asks if I want to boot Windows 7 or run a memory diagnostic test.

I'm not sure what any of the hardware is exactly inside the PC since I can't login to check.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what can I do?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Did you press F10 to Save the setting before exiting the bios Rhymin?

If you did then it may well be that you burned the cd too fast.

Just possibilities mate. :)

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks for your response.

I did press F10 to save the setting and I tried your 2nd piece of advice because at first, I burned it at max speed, but I just burned another disc at 4x speed and it still doesn't work.

Also, I put in a Windows 7 installation disc to see if that booted from disc and it worked flawlessly.

I also tried another password recovery tool called ONTP&RE, and that didn't boot from disc either.

This is weird as I've never had a problem like this before.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The thing is that Windows 7 is a DVD disk rather than a CD disk and it may well be that the CD reading aspect is faulty with regard to the optical drive Rhymin.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I only use DVD-R for burning discs.

I can't find anything that has helped me when googling either, this is mind boggling for what seems like such a simple problem.

Also, I burned the Windows 7 disc myself from an ISO and use the exact same discs I am using now...so I don't think the discs are the problem.

Edited by rhymin, 13 March 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're using a 4.7GB DVD disk just for some cheap and cheerful ISO file?

What a waste

Have you tried using a normal 700mb cd?

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Actually, I didn't think I had any CD-R discs, but I found some.

I'm going to try that.

Edited by rhymin, 13 March 2013 - 09:12 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well it may be that they of inferior quality Rhymin as not all blank DVD's are the same.

EDIT: Ok please let us know how you go on. :thumbsup:

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks Wolfeymole. I took your advice and simply burned it to a Memorex CD-R instead of DVD-R and it is booting from disc like a charm.

You guys are awesome and always help me with my problems! Thanks for the quick replies and have a great day!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
That's great to hear mate. :thumbsup: