Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP System running slower than usual with general tasks

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hello nirsmar

The crux of your problem is the shortage of Ram, address that and you will find that all round performance will improve.

When you are ready use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...er/?click=true.

As an asides nirsma you seem very suspicious about programs such as PCPitstop and Java and yet you are going online without any anti virus program running to protect your system, that is like playing Russian roulette with malware attack and/or identity theft.

Advertisements

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello phillpower2:

Thank you for reviewing the information. I can understand the need for more RAM. As the technician, what software for anti-virus protection would you recommend?

Please note, the main issue involves the internet sites and system running slower than usual etc., which began a few weeks ago as stated in earlier posts. There must be a settings or something that had been reset coupled with the malware removal process. This is why we worked to see if I had any malware on the system prior to seeking assistance at this specific forum. Also, I trust that you will provide me details on how to remove any and all information and/or files that PCPitStop may have installed/downloaded onto my system both manually and automatically.

If I posted my query in the incorrect section of this website I apologize and please inform me on where to post for assistance to my query about my system running slower than usual.

Thank You.

Edited by nirsmar, 18 March 2013 - 02:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
I normally recommend Avast or MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for good, free and light on resources AV software, as you only have 128MB of Ram MSE is ruled out as you need 256MB of Ram to run it;

http://forum.avast.c...p?topic=57105.0
http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5201

I can only reiterate what I said earlier;

As an asides nirsma you seem very suspicious about programs such as PCPitstop and Java and yet you are going online without any anti virus program running to protect your system, that is like playing Russian roulette with malware attack and/or identity theft.

All testing software will be removed when we are done.

No matter which forum you had post your topic on software or hardware the advice would be the same, upgrade your Ram as you do not have enough to cope with the demands that you are placing on the two 64MB sticks that the computer presently has.

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Edited by nirsmar, 19 March 2013 - 02:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Not sure why you have post another url nirsmar !

Installing an AV program, upgrading the Ram then running another test would be more appropriate.

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello Phillpower2:

Thought you may have wanted to see an updated results log. What should the next step be? Thanks.

Edited by nirsmar, 24 March 2013 - 05:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hello nirsmar

Hello Phillpower2:

Thought you may have wanted to see an updated results log. What should the next step be? Thanks.

As per my reply #20

Installing an AV program, upgrading the Ram then running another test would be more appropriate.

The guidance is still the same.

Protect your computer with an anti virus program.

Your computer does not have enough Ram to run any more than the bare minimum of programs and until more Ram is added nothing is going to change.

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Where does one find RAM for such a system with the components?

All testing software will be removed when we are done.

Until I can find the upgrade of the RAM you recommend, how do I remove the PCPitStop program and information from my system.

Thank you for your assistance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true
No information about your computer will be retained by the tool and nothing is downloaded to your HDD.

How do I remove PC Pitstop utilities?

Note: You cannot remove the utilities if you have just run tests at the site, because the files are in use by IE. Close all IE windows, start IE again, then use the procedure described below.

Most of PC Pitstop's utilities are installed automatically when needed by Internet Explorer and don't have an entry in "Add/Remove Programs". To remove them, open Internet Explorer and go to Tools | Internet Options. Under the General tab, click the Settings button under Temporary Internet Files. Then click the View Objects button. In the list of installed objects, find the ones with the names listed in the table above. (Not all of them may be installed on your system.) Right-click each one and select Remove.

When you have done the above check Add/Remove programs to make sure it has been removed and then run TFC by OldTimer to get rid of any temp files http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187