Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop freezing, out of ideas!

• Please log in to reply

jmbtron

jmbtron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have an Emachines E640 laptop, about a week ago it began to periodically freeze up, it would be frozen on whatever I happened to have onscreen for about 5mins, then go to blackscreen, only solution was to power off as everything other than power button was unresponsive.

As the problem became more & more frequent I ran the following: malware bytes & AVG (both full scans, no problems) Seatools HDD utilities, all tests passed, memcheck, passed.

I also removed the casing, cleared out the dust and re-assembled (wasn't overheating but decided it wouldn't do any harm!)

HDD is not fragmented, I tested both memory sticks individually, both with software & by physically removing & booting individually to see if either stopped the issue (No!)

Finally I removed the HDD, connected it to my desktop pc & completely erased everything (not deleted, secure-wiped) reconnected to laptop & re-installed win7.....

Laptop was fine, all through windows update, avg installed, google chrome installed, great I thought, fixed! then after a quick browse on the internet, it froze again!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before it becomes an expensive frisbee!!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Great job troubleshooting. Unfortunately, I can't imagine it's anything other than a bad motherboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If I can just add to what admin has said jmbtron.

In case of a bad power source have you tried using battery power only and vice versa removing the battery and using only the AC adapter, if so what was the outcome in both instances please?