Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problem - SSD related?

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Awhile ago I reformatted my HDD and bought an SSD. When I installed Windows 7 to the SSD, I started running into this problem. When I shut down my computer, or if the power goes out (happened a few times), it has trouble booting Windows. I usually have to mess around with it for awhile (resetting the CMOS battery, the Windows repair usually doesn't help). If I just restart my PC, I have no problem whatsoever. I believe the screen I get says something along the lines of "BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart". I am pretty certain this has something to do with when I installed it to the SSD, as it worked perfectly when I had it installed to my HDD.

Anyways, I am trying to avoid reformatting and re-installing Windows 7 at this point as I will probably upgrade to Windows 8 in a few months and I have a ton of information on my drives.

My friend told me about Hiren's Boot Disc. I was wondering if anything on this disc would be a possible fix for my problem? If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Warranty the SSD. It's a drive controller issue. Backup your data to an extra drive, external drive or whatever you have available ASAP. Chances are your drive has a bad controller, and one of these times will refuse to boot at all.

*admin Speaking from experience

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Admin, is that the only thing it could be? It couldn't be a problem during the installation? I never tried to re-install Windows.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Edited by rhymin, 17 March 2013 - 08:26 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Replace the SATA cable if you have an extra, but it's not likely the cable. What you describe is the most common symptoms of SSD failure (in consumer drives). I've had a couple die this way. Eventually they just won't boot at all. If the drive refused to boot, and you found an identical drive with an identical controller, data recovery may be possible. In general when an SSD dies, the data is nonrecoverable.

I think it's easy to get a false sense of security with SSDs. That since they don't have moving parts they aren't as likely to fail. However, long-term studies have shown the failure rate is about the same with SSDs as with traditional platter drives.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks admin. Unfortunately I waited too long and can't return it...I'm never making that mistake again.

What specific SSD would you recommend me getting quality wise? I only need a 60 GB SSD max since Windows 7 or Windows 8 64-bit can easily fit on it.

Or would you just recommend a regular HDD?

Thank you for your quick reply again!!

Edited by rhymin, 17 March 2013 - 12:57 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Well once you go SSD, you can't go back. ;)

It's really the best upgrade you can make.

Hard to go wrong with any Intel drive. Crucial M4 is a solid drive, as are the Samsung 830/840.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Nine months later and I am finally taking action in utilizing the warranty. Who needs a New Years resolution? I am starting 2 days early...lazy no more, lol.

Thank you for your advice though. Sorry I didn't say that sooner.