Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleteing Windows 7 off of a dual HD system.

• Please log in to reply

Wid0wMak3r

Wid0wMak3r

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll give you a little background on my issue. First my PC is a custom build desktop. I had a pirated copy of Windows 7 on my HDD. That worked for a long but eventually it stopped updating and stuff like that to the point where it wouldn't boot anymore. I'm assuming it somehow got corrupted. To fix the problem I bought a legit version of Windows 8 64bit system builders edition and a new SSD to put it on. It worked great. I installed the SSD and not even 15 minutes later I had Windows 8 installed and working properly. So now I have my SSD © and my HDD (D). My C drive has Windows 8 installed and my D drive has Windows 7 installed. Now I need to delete Windows 7 off of my D drive. I'd rather not reformat the whole drive because it has all my music/games/photos etc on it. I just want the Windows gone so I can use my HDD strictly for storage. I also need to know how to alter my boot process such that it doesn't ask me which OS to boot. Ive read plenty of other posts like this that say I need to alter my boot.ini file to do this. However, none of those posts have anything to do with Windows 8. Please help me delete Windows 7 and simplify my boot process. Thanks!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Widowmaker and welcome to Geeks To Go

It sounds like you can still access the Win 7 drive so why don't you simply transfer all your pictures etc off it to the C: drive, format the Win 7 drive and then transfer them back?

Wid0wMak3r

Wid0wMak3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Because my C Drive is way to small. I'd be a few hundred gigs short of space if I tried to transfer my stuff to the SSD.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you considered an external drive to transfer them to, they are quite inexpensive these days?

I have three external drives should I need to move things around.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can simply delete anything on that drive that isn't your pictures/music/files. you're not booting to the drive so the windows installation isn't active at all. the way you've described your setup, it's not doing any dual boot kind of stuff so you don't have to worry about changing boot configurations or any of that stuff. if that description isn't correct, and you are in a dual boot setup (when you start the computer does it ask you want OS you want to boot to?) then it's a different story.

the games are another story though....unless you're talking about the game installers or save game files you won't be able to use the games that were installed under windows 7 in windows 8 without reinstalling the games.

Wid0wMak3r

Wid0wMak3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your response dsenette. When I boot up it does ask me which OS I want to boot. The default is Windows 8. I have no partitions on either drive and I have no dual boot apps installed or anything like that. I have not messed with any boot configurations at all. And actually when I boot Windows 8 I can still play all of my games even though they are on a my HDD and were installed with Windows 7. I have considered an external drive, however, I thought I'd go this route first and just try to delete Windows 7. Why buy something if I don't have to is kind of how I thought about it.

Edited by Wid0wMak3r, 14 March 2013 - 03:02 PM.