Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I've been messing around with a couple old PCs and trying to get them to work for someone who could use them. I had one of them working which has very poor specs for a system running Windows 7 32-bit. All I did was try another HDD in the working PC (in place of the current HDD, which uses IDE cable) and I got this:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Then, I switched back to the HDD that worked with the system, and I got the EXACT SAME ERROR!

I was ready to pitch the other HDD cause I thought it was bad, but that might not be the problem since I got the same error with both HDDs (even the one that previously worked). Any ideas?

The PC specs are very old btw:
MOBO- ASUS A7N8X 2.0
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 1.1 GHz
RAM - 512 MB
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 6200 314 MB
HDD - Deskstar 60 GB
It also has a sound card, DVD rom, floppy drive, and network adapter.

Also, in BIOS, when I try to use the IDE HDD Auto-Detection feature, it doesn't detect a HDD.

And, when I goto the boot priority list, it shows all sorts of things such as:
Floppy
LS120
HDD-0
HDD-1
HDD-2
HDD-3
SCSI
CDROM
LAN
Disabled

I really have no idea which HDD to select, but I tried HDD-0 and HDD-1 and still doesn't recognize.

Edited by rhymin, 13 March 2013 - 11:07 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The machine is trying to boot from a network Rhymin as it can't find any boot files on the hard drive which I suspect is old and faulty anyway.

By the way you're wasting your time trying to install Windows 7 onto a machine with those specs.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Actually, it already had Windows 7 32-bit installed on it, which surprised me. It worked before I put in the 2nd HDD, and then when I switched it back to the working HDD, that's when it got the same disk boot failure message as the 2nd one.

I was actually going to wipe the HDD clean and put XP on it for someone.

(BTW, this is the same HDD you helped me with yesterday when I used the password recovery tool)

Edited by rhymin, 14 March 2013 - 07:35 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'd suggest that with these two drives already being ancient they have died in the swap process.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Okay, not a big deal. What would you recommend doing with such old parts? Not really worth putting on eBay and making $50 for about 20 parts lol.

Thanks for your help again!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
To be perfectly frank Rhymin I'd bin the lot, but you could of course put a version of Linux on it as the requirements are not as harsh as what Windows requires.

In the UK we have a saying that goes like this; "You cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear".

This is like saying one cannot put a lawn mower engine in a Rolls Royce and expect it to work.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Haha very true.

Thanks again Wolfey!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're more than welcome Rhymin mate. :thumbsup:

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
One more thought and question:

Would the cases even be worth anything? Or would the motherboard screw holes even match up with today's motherboards? I'm thinking no because I think they are bigger now, but I'm not quite sure, but just wanted to ask.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If it's a standard ATX case then there should be no problem.

If not then what size is it?

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hmm, I'm not quite sure how to check what size it is.

I know none of them are full towers, but mid towers sounds right.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I switched the IDE cable to a different socket on the mobo and the originally working HDD started working again. There might be hope for it yet!

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Nevermind lol, the HDD started making clicking sounds. I'm not wasting anymore time on this old junk.

Thanks for your help on everything though!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Clicking is the most dreadful sound in the world Rhymin and you're welcome by the way. :thumbsup: