Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multifunction thingymajigs

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hey Guys, I need your advice...

A client of mine has a knackered HP printer that she needs to replace. She mainly uses it for printing documents etc (bit of colour but mainly black). She already has a USB scanner. Her main system is a Toshiba Satellite laptop (P4) running XP Home. She also has one dial phone line that she uses for phone/internet/email.

She's debating on whether to go for one of these multi-function printer/scanner/fax/photocopier things (no not a Lexmark, I've already warned her off those ages ago). She's looking mainly at Epson or Cannon, as HP are horribly expensive for cartridges. She would also like to have the standalone fax / photocoping capabilities.

Despite being a bottomless pit of knowledge on most things computer related :tazz: I actually haven't ever had to deal with any of these devices personally.

Does anyone know anything about them in terms of any common problems or issues, reliability, ease of use, compatibility issues etc?

Also, do they normally use standard printer cartridges or do you need special (extra expensive) ones?

Cheers guys!

Advertisements

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
hi hope this helps... i have and two of my friends have the epson all-in-1 they r very good .. dont know about the others because i have no experience of any other model..

Epson Stylus CX6600 Multifunctional Printer 11PPM 2400DPI A4 USB 2.0

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy Samm:

I know of a couple people that are using the multi-function devices now and are quite pleased with them..

The biggest complaint any of them have had has to do with repairs..

If anything goes wrong with any of the functions, they lose everything.. Scanner, printer, fax, etc while it is away for repairs..

Murray

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Stuart813 - thank you for that recommendation, I will look into that model.

Murray - you have pin-pointed the main thing I have been concerned about myself, ie the lose every function in event of a failure. Do you happen to know how reliable they are in general?

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
i have had no problems with the epson, i know not of any function loss because of the reliability of the unit ... and glad to be of any help :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thanks Stuart813

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
[COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]

i have had no problems with the epson, i know not of any function loss because of the reliability of the unit ... and glad to be of any help :tazz:

View Post

Stuart: I am not implying that, if the printer stops working, you won't be able to scan or fax.. I am saying that, if the printer quits working and has to be returned for repairs, there goes your scanner, fax, etc right along with it!!

Samm: In general, those that have them (my brother and ex especially) think they are the answer.. Everything they need in one neat package..

Murray

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
no problem

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Stuart:

What is the price of cartridges like for the Epson?? I had a couple Epson printers that were just great but it was cheaper to buy a new unit than it was to replace the cartridges!! :tazz: ;)

Murray

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
i use jetec they are about 6 quid each locally...uses same cartridge as c84

Edited by stuart813, 07 June 2005 - 03:25 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats what I was hoping - same cartridges as the standard printers. Epson & Canon cartridges are generally very cheap, especially compatibles, so that shouldn't be a problem then. (As long as she doesn't get a Lexmark. Arghhh...)

Thanks you two :tazz:

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
you're welcome

monet

monet

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've heard nothing but dreadful news about how expensive the ink is for ALL of them....The Cannons seem to have a pretty good rep from what I've researched...