Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swirtching anti-virus programs

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Please advise if during download of new anti-virus program if currently being used program needs to be removed ahead of downloading new program, or can i wait until the the download is complete, but before it is set up.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
A person can have umpteen different Anti Virus programs in a download folder but only 1 must be run at any given time.

If an AV is running and then a person decides to run the executable file on another AV whilst the first is still running then problems can occur.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hi -
Here's the way I like to see it done,
first, download the new anti-virus program, say to the desktop, but don't install it yet.
second, download the removal tool for the old anti-virus program, and again don't run it yet.
(here is a list of removal tools should you need to find the tool for your current AV)

Now that you have your files --

Uninstall the old anti virus program via the control panel.
Run the removal tool for the old anti virus, which usually requires a reboot of the system

Last, install the new anti virus - note that you would not have been going to any internet sites without protection by grabbing the new AV before doing anything else.
:cool:

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I would have downloaded from filehippo.com which I assume is a fairly safe site.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
There's nothing wrong with FileHippo Wayne.

The replies from myself and Crowbar should provide you with all the information you need mate.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

I would have downloaded from filehippo.com which I assume is a fairly safe site.

I think it's a safe site.
Which anti-virus are you planning on removing, and which are you planning on installing in the other one's place?

My colleague Wolfeymole is %100 correct, you don't want 2 AV programs running at once.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I am planning on removing Avira vers. 13.0.0.2693 Free Version as it will not update properly

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks. I learned a long time ago that only one can be run at a time, just wanted to make sure that I was protected while doing the download on the new anti-virus program.