Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No bootable device- what's wrong?

• Please log in to reply

writer13

writer13

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I stepped on my laptop last night while it was open. My heel hit the floor and the ball of my foot fell on the touch pad. It froze and when I tried to restart, I got a message saying no bootable device. The HDD lies directly beneath my touch pad. I tried removing it and reinstalling it to see whether or not it had come loose. (I didn't put that much weight on the computer). My questions is: How do I determine whether I destroyed my hard drive or whether something else occurred preventing the computer from recognizing the HDD. I checked BIOS and list "none" under HDD.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Writer and welcome to Geeks To Go.

You have done exactly what I would have told you to do and still the drive is not found which is very suggestive of a dead hard drive.

Did you make sure that the drive was pushed fully home and the metal chassis casing, if applicable, was screwed down?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The only real way to determine if there is a problem with the hard drive is to take it out and try it in another device, such as a computer, external case, etc. While the disk might be damaged, it could also be that the connectors to the disk, which is in the same area, might have been damaged. Also, the main board could have also been damaged in that area.

When you power the computer on, do you hear the disk powering up?

writer13

writer13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The only thing I hear when it turns on is the DVD-RW drive.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The drive might be working or it might not be getting power from the system, so you need to be able to figure that out before you can say where the problem is.