Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with setting up a Windows 8 netbook

• Please log in to reply

Prospero

Prospero

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, I have recently bought an Acer Aspire One netbook with Windows 8. I haven't oppened it let and I'm sure I'll have no problem with the basic set up. I would however like some advice on some of the more difficult aspecs, specifically to do with security and recoverability. Such as should I have a separate admin account?; should I partition the hard drive?; how do I make a recovery disk if it doesn't have a disc drive?; what free security software should I use? and so on. Any help and/or links to guides you would recommend would be very helpful.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Prospero

For ease of use I suggest that you install the start button to the taskbar as I feel that you will feel more at home with it, the one that I use http://lee-soft.com/...start-menu.html

For AV protection Avast would be my choice, it is light on system resources and is available free http://www.avast.com/index
Before you install please check if there is already an AV program on the netbooks HDD, if there is please let us know before you proceed.

Add password protection to the notebook as opposed to getting involved with an admin account, until you are familiar with W8 at least,

Your HDD should have a recovery partition on it in case of an emergency but to back up important data you could use a thumbdrive or an external USB DVD burner such as the example @ http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827190021 depending on how much you are able and willing to spend another option is an external USB hard drive.

In answer to partitioning the HDD, while it is possible I strongly suggest that you leave well alone as the potential for a mishap that could corrupt or delete the present data on the HDD is too high, this again is something that you may decide to do in the future when you are more comfortable with the netbook and W8.

Lets check for a recovery partition on the HDD;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

Thanks for the help and sorry for the late reply, I've been pretty busy over the last couple of days. Sorry to drag things back a bit but I'm a little confused over what to do but more importantly in what order?.

For example should I not create a recovery drive first?, I've read W8 has the ability to back up a recovery partion at the same time if you already have one installed, so I'd find out if it has one this way.

And what about a system image?, should I make some alterations first?, like adding the start button you mentioned.

I already have a large USB external hard drive and a couple of spare flash drives, so I've plenty of room for backing up files, creating a recovery drive, system image etc.

The pinned topic at the top of this section says W8 already comes with Windows Defender, which is essentially MSE. But what about the other stuff here, when should I install them and which ones do you recommend?.

Sorry for waffling on, and thanks again for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello again Prospero

Unfortunately we do not know if you have an AV software on the computer already, the documents provided with the computer should tell you this.

One thing at a time it is then so start with a recovery disk http://winsupersite....ry-media-144098 I suggest this as a recovery partition on a HDD is no good if the HDD fails mechanically, this does happen with new computers BTW.

Post back when the above is done but only when you are ready as we understand there may be a delay as none of us can be here 24/7.

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

I've just completed the setup using express settings. There is a recovery partition, should I copy this to the flash drive as well?, if so the largest free USB flash drive I have is 16GB, will that be big enough?.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Prospero

Have you ensured that there is an AV program protecting your computer

I would ensure that Windows is fully up to date and then make an image of the HDD using Easeus (free) http://www.easeus.co...y/home-edition/ full instructions are provided.

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

Sorry if I haven't made myself clear, I'm currently using an old laptop and haven't connected the netbook to the internet yet. I was about to create the recovery drive when I noticed I had the option of copying a recovery partition as well to the same flash drive. So should I just create a simple recovery drive or should I add the recovery partition as well?.

As for the AV program, it appears I've got a 60 day subsription to McAfee pre-installed, have had McAfee before and don't think it's worth paying for so will be happy to get rid of it when we get round to it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Prospero

Yes I am a bit confused as you have said;

I've just completed the setup using express settings. There is a recovery partition, should I copy this to the flash drive as well

Can you explain what you mean by this as it led me to believe that you were on the new notebook.

Your best option is to uninstall McAfee using the correct procedure http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS101331 and immediately install either Avast or MSE.

Once your computer is protected install all W8 updates and then use Easeus to clone your HDD to a DVD, the option you should use;

Sector by sector copy: Makes physical 1:1 copies (clones) of hard disks and partitions which ensure 100% identity to the original.

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

I'm currently writing this post using an old laptop. I only switched the new netbook on for the first time a few of hours ago and I haven't connected it to the internet yet.

The first thing you told me to do was;

One thing at a time it is then so start with a recovery disk http://winsupersite....ry-media-144098 I suggest this as a recovery partition on a HDD is no good if the HDD fails mechanically, this does happen with new computers BTW.

However I haven't created the recovery drive yet as it gave me the option to add a recovery partition to the same flash drive at the same time and I'm not sure whether to do this or if there will be enough space on my 16GB flash drive.

So I guess the question is should I;

1. Create a recovery drive only, replace McAfee, update W8 then use Easeus(although the netbook doesn't have a disc drive)
2. Create a recovery drive and a recovery partition(on the same flash drive at the same time), replace McAfee, update W8 then use Easeus

Will replacing McAfee and updating W8 change the recovery partition, if so;

3. Replace McAfee, update W8, Create a recovery drive and a recovery partition(on the same flash drive at the same time) then use Easeus

Sorry for any confusion, or have I just made it worse :lol:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender which is really Microsoft Security Essentials. It, along with the built in firewall is really all you need.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Prospero

USB stick recovery tutorial for you http://www.techrepub...-windows-8/7261

Consider what Ztruker has said about Windows Defender please as I only answered your free AV software question.

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

OK I've created a recovery drive, including a copy of the OEM recovery partition, it only needed ~13GB.

Windows Defender has been disabled, obviously to allow McAfee to run. I'd like to get rid of McAfee and turn Windows Defender on, I've also got 4 other pieces of crapware: ebay; lovefilm; netflix and wildtangent games, is it possible to get rid of them at the same time?.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Prospero

Good to see that you are making progress :thumbsup:

To get rid of McAfee http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS101331

To enable Windows Defender http://windows.micro...defender#1TC=t1

To remove any bloatware that does not have an uninstaller please go to Control Panel > Programs and then the Uninstall a program option below that.

Let us know when you are done please or if you have any other questions.

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

I've removed McAfee, enabled WD, updated W8 and installed Firefox.

I haven't removed the "bloatware" as two of them didn't appear on the programs list, so not sure what to do there.

As I mentioned in a previous post I save personal files to an external hard drive, so I'm not sure what to do with system images/backup/restore points etc. In fact I'm not sure what the difference is between them, or what there useful for :lol: , what would you advise?.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Prospero

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Which items could you not remove.

Saving your data on your HDD and backing up your most important/irreplaceable data to the external HDD would be the way I would go, external HDDs can also fail so keeping it on the netbook as well is another safeguard.

Windows 8 creates restore points when it updates or carries out maintenance or you can manually configure your own settings.

Having restore points is important as they allow you to revert the computer back to a previous stable condition should something go wrong such as a bad software update or driver installation.