Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with setting up a Windows 8 netbook

• Please log in to reply

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

I couldn't remove lovefilm and netflix, clicking on their desktop icons just sends you to their sign up pages. The netbook will be mainly used by other people in the family and I'm trying to make it as secure/simple to use as possible, besides stuff like this just clutters up the desktop and never gets used anyway.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Have you tried right clicking on the desktop icons and deleting them, this should work as they are not programs that have been installed onto your HDD they are as you say links.

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

Yeh that'll get rid of them :lol:, always weary of just deleting stuff from the desktop but as you say I think there just links.

Couple of final things then, done a bit of searching and found some "how to's";

Firstly for creating system images here, seems fairly straightforward (and presumably I can still use my external HDD for other things as well?). What do you think?; just an initial one or regular ones?.

Secondly for disabling the (annoying) lock screen here, and booting straight to the desktop here. Like I said earlier I'm trying to make it as easy to use as possible for other people in the family so doing those two would be quite useful. Again seems fairly straightforward to me although the first one does involve altering the registry, perhaps create the system image or a restore point before?.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Prospero

The amount of back ups you do depends on how much and how often the data on the HDD is being changed or added to, if you have the means back up when you feel that you should but definitely when significant changes have been made or information has been added.

Editing the registry should be avoided unless it is absolutely necessary and you know exactly what you are doing, adding the Start button as I suggested makes life so much easier and it does not involve going into the registry, have you added the Start button to the task bar?

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Phill

I've sorted out back ups etc and installed the start button you suggested, it's very good, it even gets rid of those annoying little hot corner things.

I guess I'm done then unless you can think of anything I've missed?.

Thanks again for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the follow up Prospero - I am pleased that you are happy with the outcome :thumbsup:

I am all done my end but if you have any other questions now or in the future you know where we are.

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi

Not sure if I'm posting in the wright place so feel free to move this post to a different section if necessary. It does concern the ViStart menu though so it might be appropriate.

I did a scan with MBAM (I do a scan about once a week on my other computers and used it for the first time on the new netbook today) and it detected 2 items;

1 Adware.Bundler Registry Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ViStart
2 Adware.Bundler File C:\Program Files(x86)\ViStart\KillMe.exe

Obviously to do with uninstalling ViStart but why did MBAM detect them, are they a threat? and what should I do with them?.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Prospero,

This is a grey area that I cannot respond to unfortunately as any information that I provide could be deemed as malware advice and that is a big no/no outside of the malware forums.

What I can do is ask a moderator to provide you with feedback which will hopefully resolve any possible issues.

Please await a response here from a moderator or admin.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi Prospero. :)

With regard to this you enquired about:-

I did a scan with MBAM (I do a scan about once a week on my other computers and used it for the first time on the new netbook today) and it detected 2 items;

1 Adware.Bundler Registry Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ViStart
2 Adware.Bundler File C:\Program Files(x86)\ViStart\KillMe.exe

Obviously to do with uninstalling ViStart but why did MBAM detect them, are they a threat? and what should I do with them?.

It is indeed a valid detection by MBAM...basically the software during its default installation procedure will install what is know as PUP's(potentially unwanted programs). There is actually no choice in this, as in you have to select certain third party or the installer will halt as I am sure you may have noticed. Plus adware based toolbars will be installed also which apart from having undesirable characteristics can be deemed a security risk all told. Even if you remove the third party dross it installs every time the software is used it can potentially install similar again, as it will call home so to speak and install further unbeknownst to your good self...

My friendly advice is uninstall ViStart then read this topic <-- scroll down to Step 2. Download and Run OTL and follow the advice/instructions onwards too err on the side of caution. This way you can ensure afterwards your machine is malware free.

Good luck and stay safe!

Prospero

Prospero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi guys, thanks for the help.

A quick question for Dakeyras if you don't mind. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have a system image that predates the installation of ViStart (from about a week ago), the netbook is only used for light internet use mainly by other family members and nothing of any significance has been added/installed/saved etc since then. Would this be an alternative solution?.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Prospero, that would be an excellent solution!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Prospero, that would be an excellent solution!

Ditto as in concur. :)