Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking assistance with removing Playtopus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK where is that little blighter hiding, it is an orphan registry key. Lets find it

For 64bit systems, download SystemLook from here. and save to the desktop

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :regfind 
    updater.dll
    Playtopus

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Advertisements

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, done. system look report is attached.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK I found the culprit it was a task registry key.. Plus a lot of other junk entries

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
    Posted Image
:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:Reg
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AppDataLow\Playtopusconfig]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Playtopus]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Playtopus.Module]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Playtopus.Module.1]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PlaytopusPE.DisplayEngine]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{7DE0781F-F2DF-4C21-ADF4-3E477C7FC7FE}
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{9369C2AD-E3BF-4F4D-8904-5670D8340A82}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Interface\{51C7DC56-AD39-414A-906D-0DFF04793F18}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\TypeLib\{7DE0781F-F2DF-4C21-ADF4-3E477C7FC7FE}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{80366865-93E3-4F8F-958C-3546FBD3FDCC}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Playtopus Updater]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{9369C2AD-E3BF-4F4D-8904-5670D8340A82}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\Interface\{51C7DC56-AD39-414A-906D-0DFF04793F18}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\TypeLib\{7DE0781F-F2DF-4C21-ADF4-3E477C7FC7FE}]
[-HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-677306797-942110887-989636544-1003\Software\AppDataLow\Playtopusconfig]
[-HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-677306797-942110887-989636544-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Playtopus]

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok...heres the otl log after the run fix and scan.

just so you know, i need to take off for a few hours. i can continue with anything else a little later. thank you.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you just confirm the dll warning is no longer present

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
nope, cannot confirm. Lol. I just got home and there it was on my screen. I guess we missed something?

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes, still getting the same dll error message. im available most of the day today and can tend to this if you have any other suggestions for the fix. thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would like to run system look again in case I missed one of the reg keys when I whittled them dow

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    :regfind  
    updater.dll 
    Playtopus
    Playto~1

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok...done.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK no indicators of it all in the registry so I need to track down where it is hiding. This will take a few minutes to run, and should remove any orphans it finds

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3. If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

Advertisements

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hey there, i have attached the combofix log file for you. also, when the pc came back up, nothing worked. i couldnt open any browsers or programs. i performed another reboot and all seems to be opening fine, as you said. laptop is performing normally, thus far.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Unfortunately combofix sometimes forgets to release the registry on the first reboot..

Are you still getting the dll warning on reboot ?

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
that warning has not appeared. i think its finally gone. all seems to be working fine.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sheesh that one hid itself under a totally different name from the rest of the programme, darn sneaky

Lets remove all my rubbish now and tidy up

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

Remove ComboFix
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall
    (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
    then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

Clear Restore Points

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
Select More Options tab
Press System Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button
Posted Image

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

If you use on-line banking then as an added layer of protection install Trusteer Rapport

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe :wave:

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, i managed to do all of the cleanup items and downloaded the recommended programs. i will see how things go until tomorrow and shoot you a message. thanks for the help here. im super impressed with you guys and will recommend to others.

i know how i landed that platy thing. it was hooked into a media player i downloaded for viewing mp4 files. i dont like to use apple products and was looking for a good alternative to quicktime. i didnt uncheck all the junk they try to get you to download. i wish i could recall the name of that media player now. it didnt work well at all in the end so i uninstalled. thats when i discovered the platy malware and its also when the trouble began.

thank you again!