Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking assistance with removing Playtopus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
A wise thing to do when you download free programmes is use the custom install option. Then you should not get caught by it (but no guarantees as they are very sneaky )

Have you looked at QuickTime Light, this is the basic stripped down version

Advertisements

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
right on. ill check that qt light when i get a chance.

you arent going to like this. that dll error is back. it doesnt occur upon reboot. it happens after my pc has been running for a bit. i see it after i lock my screen and come back later, as i did a little while ago for lunch. ugh!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK it is not running from tasks or a run key. Do you have a browser open when it starts ?

So the next element will be to use silent runners, this does not install but works from the desktop and will show me all the keys that are liable to be used

Please RIGHT-CLICK HERE and Save As (in IE it's "Save Target As", in FF it's "Save Link As") to download Silent Runners.
  • Save it to the desktop.
  • Run Silent Runner's by doubleclicking the "Silent Runners" icon on your desktop.
  • You will receive a prompt:
    • Do you want to skip supplementary searches?
      click NO
  • If you receive an error just click OK and double-click it to run it again - sometimes it won't run as it's supposed to the first time but will in subsequent runs.
  • You will see a text file appear on the desktop - it's not done, let it run (it won't appear to be doing anything!)
  • Once you receive the prompt All Done!, open the text file on the desktop, copy that entire log, and paste it here.
*NOTE* If you receive any warning message about scripts, please choose to allow the script to run.

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
maybe im not doing it correctly. when i save link to decktop and dbl click it all i get is the attached and i am never asked anything beyond that.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to the nature of the file you will need to right click the link and select save as

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
gotcha. i just never received any prompts about skipping supplementary searches. its open and running. presumably :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Aye it is a very old programme but it is still useful

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, i think it was an FF issue. i ran it from IE and it worked as you said it would. the file is attached here.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Found it.., A hidden task job, there was also a Babylon updater there as well

Please download OTM
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTM to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • Copy the lines in the codebox below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:Files 
    C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Playtopus Updater
    C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\{9DBE7CF0-6C0E-4C25-B179-BF73B6A09AD4}

• Return to OTM, right click in the "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" window (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
  • Close OTM and reboot your PC.
Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTM\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
done. read below.

========== FILES ==========
File/Folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Playtopus Updater not found.
File/Folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\{9DBE7CF0-6C0E-4C25-B179-BF73B6A09AD4} not found.

OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.1.21.0 log created on 03182013_163048

im rebooting now.

Advertisements

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
all is fair with my computer after the reboot.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK delete silent runners from the desktop and then run OTM and press the cleanup button to remove that.. Now I know where it hides itself it will not escape again

Many thanks for your patience :thumbsup:

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
essex, im reluctant to even post this...the dll error message is back. i guess it was never killed. is it something i can live with? just residue? as long as harm isnt being done i guess i can handle the nuisance.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK for some reason I suspected that none of my tools were going to remove this .. So we are going to do it manually. In most cases I do not use the manual method as it does involve using a part of the system that not many know about
So I prepared this last night before I went to bed

To begin..

Go Start and in the search box type Task scheduler

Select Task Scheduler that appears at the top

The scheduler will open
Select Library on the left
And select the action tab which will show which file is to be run

Select the bad task (Playtopus)
Right click and select delete

If you are not sure which one to delete then could you screenshot it and I will let you know which one it is

BJ494

BJ494

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
done deal. that was easy to do. ill run the cleanup as you suggested earlier and continue to monitor things. thank you for all of the extra effort here.