Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

reformat now cannot install updates

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I was just wondering if microsoft has stopped the updates for windows xp. I have 2 computers I am trying to set up for someone that doesn't have one and can not update.I tried it on both computers and it is the same. I reformatted both of them so I can give them a clean computer and now it wont update. If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

ginnyjoe

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Did you install all device drivers after formatting and reinstalling XP?

What Service Pack level is it at? If SP1 or SP2, download SP3 and install it rather than using Windows Update. You can download it here:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Installed all the device drivers. It is SP2. I will install SP3 and give that a try. Thanks

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Thank you I downloaded sp3 and it all seems fine now.