Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DPC_watchdog_violation BSoD

• Please log in to reply

whaaatif

whaaatif

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,

I've recently been getting the blue screen of death on my Windows 8 laptop (about 4 months old). The first time I received the error "DPC_watchdog_error" and the last couple times has been the error "DPC_watchdog_violation". I wasn't running anything too strenuous (Firefox and Excel) when the crashes happened. I scanned my laptop with Trend Micro and it reported no viruses or spyware. Also, this only started happening after Windows installed some automatic updates - not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I've attached the minidump files (not sure how to read them).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files

Edited by whaaatif, 16 March 2013 - 07:30 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The dumps all point to rtwlane.sys as the cause. That's part of the Realtek Wireless LAN PCI-E NIC.

Check your computer manufacturers site for an updated driver. If none, check the Realtek site. If it's been updated recently then roll it back via Device Manager.

whaaatif

whaaatif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, I'm not particularly tech savvy so I just want to confirm the driver update process before I actually do anything.

I checked the Lenovo website for wireless LAN drivers (my laptop is a Thinkpad E430) and the only Realtek WLAN driver for Windows 8 was the "Realtek 8188CE Wireless LAN Driver (802.11b/g/n) for Windows 8 (64-bit)". I went to Device Manager and the installed driver for the 1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter is the same as the version on the Lenovo website (2007.2.706.2012). The Roll back driver option was also greyed out so it wasn't updated recently. I then checked the Realtek site for the 8188CE driver and it looks like there's a newer version (2007.3.0821.2012):
Posted Image
Do I just download any one of the 6 links provided?

Sorry for the long-winded clarification. I've never done this before so I want to make sure that I don't completely mess up my laptop.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would use the US links, US1, US2 or US3.