Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will 7950 have tearing performance along with my this rig?

• Please log in to reply

fahad619

fahad619

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Guys,I have a 18.5inch led monitor.
My config is:
PRO:i5 3470
Ram:8gb ddr3 1333
PSU:550watt
MOBO:gigabyte b75 d3v
1)I am planning to buy 7950.a tech frnd told me that if i buy it will give me tearing performace cause i have 1366*768 RES. with 60 fps or hz.so the gpu will send more fps than needed that time.it will destroy gaming experience.is it true?he advice me to get 7850 2gb.
2)what if i set it 75hz?will still do prob?
3)Does powerful gpu more future proof?for example if 7850 protects 3 years of playing game smoothly than 7950 will protect 5 yrs,7990 will protects 7-8 years.M i right?
N:B: Sorry 4 my BAD ENGLISH.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, in short, BUNK. your screen resolution and power of the video card have nothing to do at all with screen tearing.
Screen tearing is almost always related to V-sync. You can force V-sync in the video drivers control panel.

It is normally caused by the video card sending another frame to the monitor or tv before the last frame has been fully drawn on screen. You visually get part of one frame and part of the second frame displayed at the same time. Manufacturers "Cheat" on response times. Stating grey scale response times instead of color response times.

Couple of other thoughts on your build. Unless your going to upgrade your monitor in the next year, you might consider going to a 7850. Seems like a lot of video card for the system, but then again that depends on what your going to be doing with it.

Also, if your going to go with the 7950, I would strongly recommend going to a quality 650 watt power supply. Goal is to give you some headroom. If your gaming, you could potentially push up against the limit of our power supply.

Wizdom_09Z

Wizdom_09Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey. define what you mean by "tearing" I know you said your English was bad, but can you tell me? did he mean SUPER performance? or did he mean you will get actual object tearing on your screen in gaming. LIke vsync disabaled type tearing? It's important to distinguish this before we can help.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes, first of all you will need a more powerful power supply. You can look for a corsair or seasonic, both are great brands or a thermaltake would do fine too. Just make sure the power supply has a bronze or above quality which determines the actual power consume. A 650 Watt PSU would be fine but always have room for future possibilities and I recommend a 750W + PSU, in case you may want to crossfire your gpu with another one.

As for the gpu, never ever, go for a dual 7850. Always head for the fastest single gpu you can afford. At the very least go for hd7870xt versions. Remind you, many games do not support crossfire/SLI configurations and you may suffer FPS rates as well as Frame Latency due to dual gpu. And it would create more than twice as heat a single gpu would generate, so if you don't have a big enough case with enough air circulation never go for dual gpu's.

I strongly recommend you to buy a single 7970, in case you may want to buy a higher res. screen, a 7970 can save you from all the trouble a game might bring :) Even with Crysis 3 at max. the card creates wonders.

But, I would wait a couple of months to see the new series that AMD will bring, the rumor says that new series will be a kick [bleep] :) just saying may be you may want to invest in a better and a newer gpu, when they come out. Still, wait so that 7970's price will drop when the new serie kicks in. But dont try upgrading your gpu before you upgrade your PSU.

About that FPS worries you have, with any card you have, just activate the V-Sync option from graphincs settings in-game and it must solve the problem.

A bit late it seems for the answer but hope not too late :)
peace just pm me if you have any further questions about hardware and gaming :)