Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp pavillion not recognizing new graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Wheezy1

Wheezy1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please have patience for my lack of computer knowledge!
Tried adding an old(unused) graphics card (Sapphire radeon hd5450 1GB ddr3) that I had to my Hp Pavillion a6607c.
Running Vista Home Premium 32bit.
The monitor says "PC resolution out of range" and recommends changing to 1280x1024 60hz. So booted up in safe mode in order to change resolution, but upon restarting its the same problem.
I have downloaded more current drivers, but no change.
If I disable the driver in Device Manager and reboot everything is fine with the monitor(at least for rudimentary use) even though its still hooked up to the card.
Possible problem is I only have a 300 watt PSU, although I have read elsewhere that people have used this card with insufficient wattage before.
Is there a better way to upgrade the graphics on this computer? I am not going to be playing any graphics intensive games or anything, just movies etc.

Advertisements

foxdogface

foxdogface

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
While desktops are usually a bit more flexible in terms of interchangeable components your wattage is more than just a little low. The specs for the graphics card ask for at least 400w while the specs that I looked up for your desktop say only 250w. There's probably a graphics card out there that will work with that much power but I'm not sure how much of an improvement you'll get. If you can't take back the card you could consider getting a higher power PSU but that'd probably cause problems if your board can't handle it (I haven't looked through the mobo specifications yet).

Here http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814134138
This card will give you increased performance but is old enough that drivers for Vista shouldn't be a problem and the wattage shouldn't either.

Edited by foxdogface, 17 March 2013 - 09:30 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Here is your PC information, > http://h10025.www1.h...001_title_r0001
Support page, but there does not seem to be any information on upgrading the PSU. I have seen warnings that going over 350 w will burn out the Mobo (nobody I have seen reporting it happening) heaps of people using 500/600 w without any problems.
Upgrading the PSU would be the most cost effect way to upgrade seeing you already have the GPU.

Of course you do so at your own risk.
> http://www.newegg.co...371-063:$$$$$$$

NB Check dimensions before ordering.

Wheezy1

Wheezy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to Foxdogface, and iammykyl. I will try the new card first, and when I've got some $$ for a new computer I might try a new PSU. I wouldn't mind burninbg the MOBO on my back-up computer, but for the moment I'm stuck with this. Thanks guys for the options!

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I would think any newer graphics card you get you will still need to upgrade your PSU... Upgrading your PSU may be the first step ...IMHO..