Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive Problems

• Please log in to reply

Coppersky

Coppersky

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, so a harddrive I bought off of newegg.com

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144122

If you don't want to click the link, here's the harddrive specs:
WD CAVIAR-SE WD800JB
80 GB
8 MB CACHE
7200 RPM
IDE ULTRA ATA100

I put it into my computer.. an HP PAVILION 7940.
Used to have a 40GB harddrive that popped after 3 years.
So the specs are..
1GHZ
1 CD-RW DRIVE
1 DVD-DRIVE
256MB RAM
64 MB GEFORCE MX 4000

And I think you don't really need the rest.
It goes in fine. Here's the problem. It won't format correctly. So eventually when I got it to format after constantly pressing enter when it wouldn't find the files, it said 'disk error occured'.

Now this is the thing, I don't want to get a replacement for an uncompatible computer. Could someone please tell me if it's the harddrive? And not my computer. Yes, I do know it's really old. But yeah, I'm in dire need of an answer. (WARRANTY ENDS ON THE 14th!)

haha.
thanks.

- Coppersky

Edited by Coppersky, 06 June 2005 - 08:29 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Was the drive recognised correctly (full size etc) in the bios?
What did you use to partition & format the drive with?

Coppersky

Coppersky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was using Windows XP Professional.
It said about 74GB. Every harddrive does that. ;<
And yes, it's like.. 'Format using the NTSF afhafhahjsf (quick)'
and I chose quick, and yes, it formats. But I've tried like 3 different CDs, and a lot of them didn't install until one did. And then when it went to restart..

'Disk error occured.'
'Press Alt+Ctrl+Del to restart'

I even tried it with a spanish windows xp cd! :tazz:

Edited by Coppersky, 06 June 2005 - 09:00 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Probably the easiest way to do this then, is to use a XP boot disk (not the 6 floppy set for install, just a standalone one) then run fdisk & format from it. This way you can see whats going on with the drive.

The link that I normally use to download it from no longer exists but I have a copy. If you want to PM me with your email address, I'll email it to you.

Coppersky

Coppersky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
but I use, the 'standalone' one. not diskettes. :\
i think it's the harddrive. not XP cds. if i've gone through 3 CDs, there's a small chance that ALL of them are corrupted, especially with no scratches.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

but I use, the 'standalone' one. not diskettes. :\
i think it's the harddrive. not XP cds. if i've gone through 3 CDs, there's a small chance that ALL of them are corrupted, especially with no scratches.

View Post

No, I don't think you understand!

I know its not the XP CD. But the XP CD doesn't give you much control over setting up the drive, in that you don't get to see the result. XP just does it & continues with the install. In most cases that is fine but as you are having problems with setting up the drive, I suggest you use a XP floppy. This isn't to start the XP install with, you will still do that by booting from the CD, this is just to set the drive ready prior to XP installation.

It will also allow you to just have a look at whats going on with the drive & see if there are any problems without having to initiate the XP installation.

The XP boot disk I was referring to, contains XP compatible version of fdisk (for partitioning) and format (for NTFS & FAT32 partitions).

Coppersky

Coppersky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I guess I'll figure out something. I might as well get the replacement, and if anything, sell it to someone for more. Cause now I gotta pay shipping for the replacement :\

Oh well. Thanks anyway! :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Up to you but if this drive is actually faulty you won't be able to sell it very easily. If you return it under warranty & get a replacement, then that great.

If however, the drive isn't faulty & you return it, you will just get it shipped straight back again I expect. If you simply exchange it or buy a replacement thats the same, and the wasn't the problem to start with, then you will probably have the same problems with the new drive.

I really recommend, if you have time, to try this boot disk I was on about before making any decisions.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I think Samm is right on, on this. You need to make a bootable partition in the drive before you format it if you want to use it as the C: drive. And you may need to install some sysiem files on it during the format process. I haven't set up a drive for XP yet as the boot device, but I've done it for other systems and that's what you need.

If your disk came with software you might try installing it on another computer and using it to make your drive the new boot device. You will almost surely not need any kind of drive overlay for an XP machine. :tazz:

Coppersky

Coppersky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm. I need to buy some floppies. lol :]

I have a REALLY OLD FLOPPY.
It can only hold up to 1.38 mb. I mean.. this floppy is old.. like 1998 old.
Will it be able to work? I hear some floppies are formatted for systems. And stuff. :tazz:

It says 3 and a half inch floppy disk.
File System: FAT

FAT might be a problem, huh? :\

Edited by Coppersky, 07 June 2005 - 07:58 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi, thanks for the PM, I will send you the boot disk in a minute.
In the meantime, that floppy is the right kind for what you want. All standard floppies used in windows or Dos are formatted using FAT as opposed to NTFS or FAT32. This will not cause a problem. However, that doesn't mean the disk is OK, run scandisk or format it to find out if its useable.

Coppersky

Coppersky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Do you have AIM? Waiting for your replies get me all antsy. lol :tazz:

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Psst...

| MAD BOOT |

www.madboot.com

The floppy version is a freebie and can be downloaded strait from the web site.

This little gem will allow you to prep your hdisk for any level of Windows
OS installation.

And for an added bonus, it includes the basics, and will allow you to
zero out, low level, etc. your hdisk.