Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP has shut down to save the computer.

• Please log in to reply

Dennis3

Dennis3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I own a Dell 8400 Dimension home PC, with Windows-XP Home edition as the O.S. Recently at the time of powering up the computer, I have been receiving a black screen that read (not exact words) The system battery voltage is low. Press F1 to continue, or press F2 to run set-up utility mode.
After doing some online research as to what this message meant, I discovered that the lithium battery needed to be changed on the hard-drive. I thought to myself that would be a simple thing to change, so I did. I replaced yesterday with a new proper battery. However, when I plugged the computer back in and powered it up, to my surprise I received this:
a black screen appeared initially that read “Windows did not start properly”, then at the bottom it has a list of options that you can choose how to have the computer start up; safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt and start windows normally. I had the ability to choose an option, but when I did (several times) nothing would happen. After a moment a blue screen appears that reads: “A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time seeing this message error, please restart your computer, and run any anti virus disk defragmentation or backup utilities. If this message is shown again disable or uninstall any new hardware, check your hard drive config. and check for any updated drivers. Run chkdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.”
I have tried to reboot several times by holding the power button on the tower in and shutting it sown. Unfortunately, the process simply repeats itself. How can I re-enable Windows, and return my computer to a properly working condition without losing any data, files, or software on my computer? Please help…

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like you may have loosened something else while replacing the CMOS battery.

Did you use a CR2032 battery?
Did install it correctly as it has a positive and negative just like normal AA batteries.
Check to make sure none of the cables or power connectors were loosened.
If you were anywhere near the memory modules, check to make sure they are still firmly seated.

Dennis3

Dennis3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, yes the battery I used is a CR2032 3 volt battery. As far as I am aware I did not loosen anything when replacing the battery, and I did chenck to make sure that it is seated properly in the motherboard.

Dennis3

Dennis3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the one reply I have received, but is there anyone out there that would help me with this problem?

Dennis3

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
We are all volunteers here with jobs or other interests so please be patient.

Let's see if we can run chkdsk as suggested.

You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD, unless it provides the ability to press a Fn key at boot time to bring up the boot selection menu. If it does, use that.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press. Some computers (most newer ones) have a key you can press (often F12) to bring up the Boot Menu from where you can select the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File.

The above can be done from any computer with internet access.

On the problem computer, boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, type: chkdsk /r and press Enter.
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).