Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help With BSOD Error Code

• Please log in to reply

smilelink

smilelink

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Folks...of late I am having intermitent problems with a recurring BSOD issue....
Computer is an Inspirion running XP Pro.. don't believe this is a hardware issue as computer is realtively new.
Over the last month I have started up the computer to a blue screen that reads exactly as follows :

From the top the message says :
RtkHDAVdosys-address: A7B3AF47base at A793B000,Darestamp 478c9660

Then the Stop Code follows:

Stop:Ox000000D1(Ox0000001,COx00000002,Ox00000000,OxA7B3AF47

under all this message just indicates the computer has performed a physcial memory dump.

As I mentioned...this has occurred about four times over the last month..once I reboot...computer flys..
I would be so graeful for any assistance in helping me get this resolved

Thank You

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Do you use Hibernate? It sounds like the BSOD occurs when you come out of hibernation.

Did you type the error info correctly?

RtkHDAVdosys - could it be RtkHDAUd?

Anyway, it belongs to your Realtek HD Audio sound device. Try updating to a newer device driver.

What is the make, model and service code for the laptop? We can check the Dell web site to see if anything newer than what you currently have is available. If not then check the Realtek site.

Or, if you updated it around the time this started then try rolling the driver back from Device Manager.

smilelink

smilelink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Ztruker,

Thank you for responding! I so appreciate your assistance with this as I am retired and can't afford to pay to fix this dang thing. I use this computer for all my communications with my physicians etc.

Yes the error code is as you typed it ... Rtkhdaudo.. so you believe it teh be an out of date driver for my audio player?

This computer is a Dell Inspiron 530s desktop running WinXP Professional w/sevice pack three.
The current audio driver is a RealTek High Definition audio driver version 5.10.0.5697 installed 9/5/2011.

Think you may be right about it happening coming out of hibernation... Generally this computer seems to run well except for this occasional BSOD error I have been getting.

The one other issue (don't know if this is related to my base problem) is that it keeps indicating there is an update available... when I try to update I get this message."Can't install security update for Microsoft.net framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows server 2008 x86 . The code on the update is KB2742597.

Not sure why I am getting the promptto update when this thing is running service pack 3 ?

Also you mentioned something about I may need to,Roll back" theudio driver? Not sure how to do that?

Lest I screw up the works... I'd like to wait until you have had the opportunity to review all this new info.

Once again..thank you much for your assistance .. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Ken (smilelink)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Hi Ken.

The Dell web site shows that you have the latest driver they offer: Drivers & Downloads

DellRTkDriver.png

If you click on Previous Versions below the Red Arrow, it takes you here:

DellRTkDriver2.png

Click on the 6.0.1.5678, A02 and you can download it and install it and see how things are.

As for rolling back a driver, you do this via Device Manager. There are several ways to get there, but the easiest is as follows:

Press the Windows Key (next to the Left Ctrl key normally) and the R key together.
Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
Expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers, then double click on the Realtek sound device.
Click on the Driver tab then Roll Back Driver if it's selectable (not dimmed out).

Come back with any questions before your proceed.

Note:
Might be easiest to try the rollback first.

smilelink

smilelink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there :)

I have tried both things you suggested but.... need to copy the info down as to what happened when I did the things you suggested..Did get into the device manager and it indicated that the Realtek is operating fine????

Then tried the other thing you mentioned but that did not show the Realtek ??

Then went right to Dell's website and there was a download available to analyize my computer to determine which driver I may need but when I tried to download it got a message saying something about not being able to download because Microsofts.Net framework was not on my computer???

I have tried to install that update a number of times and have been un-successful to this point?

I seem to be getting more lost by the minute..lol Possibly I need to get to teh root of why that security update won't load?? Not sure how to do that either...sigh...

Any othe ideas? :)

Thanks,
Ken

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Did you try what I described to download and install the previous version?

I believe the Windows Update problem is separate from the BSOD problem. We can work on that after we get RealTek fixed.

smilelink

smilelink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi...

Sorry it took a day to get back to you. I have been trying all sorts of things to get this figured out.

First I did as you suggested and went to,"Run...typed in..."diskmgmt.msc" Here is ALL that came up on teh screen as follows... this format won't look quite the same but here are the headers from left to right and what it says under each one:

Volume Layout Type Filesystem Capacity FreeSpace

C Partition Basic Healthy 298.08GB 285.08GB

Then I went to the control panel.... System...hardware.... RealTek .... there is nothing to,"Roll back" too so I then ran the trouble shooter...Said it is working fine and that it is running the lastest available driver.(version 5.10.0.5697 )

I ran my Norton virus program (deepscan) and foudn no virus's...The went and downloaded Microsoft's Adware/Spyware removal tool and ran a complete scan with that... nothing bad found...

I then went pack into Ad/Remove programs and it shows that I already have the Security Update For Microsoft.NetFramework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP along with all the updates released since: i.e 2.0,3.0,3.5 SP1, and 4.0 Client Profile.

Still..down in the bottom right of my tray is the update shield indicating I need to update..so..I ran that and when done it said,"The following updates were not installed, Security Update for Microsoft.Net Framework1.1 SP1".....????????? Not sure why it is prompting me to install something that already shows as being installed when I look in Add Remove Programs?? Can I make it stop giving me false update info?

I also ran the trouble shooters on each item in the Device manager and all indicate they are working fine??

You had mentioned my blue screens seems to happen when coming out of hibernation which is I believe, accurate...Went and checked how often the updater was set to update and it was set for everyday...I changed that to once a week.

Now the latest adventure which is..I got another blue screen yesterday morning and this one was different???

Let me just list the stop codes I have seen to date below:

First was the Realtek stop code.. Stop: Ox000000D1 (Ox0000001,C,Ox00000002,OxA7B3AF47

Also this... Stop :Ox000000D1 (OxF4E816EE,Ox00000002,Ox00000001,Ox8941600B

Below each Stop code message was this... "Windows Login Process system terminated unexpectantly with a status (?) system has been shut down.. Under that it said,"Running dump of physical memory" and then, "Physical Memory Dump Complete"

To get out of any of these stop codes all I do is re-boot and the computer seems to run just fine?

It is only two years old so I am flumoxed at this point... I went to another site thinking it was the Dell site and downloaded a software program they said was free when I first went in ..It's called "Driver Detective"..Turn out it wasn't the official Dell site...

It did perform a scan of my system and the scan say's I have twenty items on the computer whose drivers need updating and that I could have the software fix the problems if I'd just give them my credit card..LOl Wouldn't do it anyway as I don't trust those ,"Fixes" but I can't afford it anyway....

In all this fiddle farting around something with my sound has changed...It works but the sound is kinda ,"Tinny/distant".

Anyway..I don't want to overwhelm you with all this but wanted to make sure I gave you all the information I can discern. Thank you so much for your valuable time!!

Thanks,
Ken

Edited by smilelink, 22 March 2013 - 02:58 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Driver Detective is crapware of the highest magnitude. Get rid of it ASAP.

Sounds like you still have not tried installing an older driver for Realtek. Just because it says it working correctly does not mean it works correctly all the time or handles coming out of hibernation correctly. Try the instructions I gave you to download and install an older version of the driver, see if that makes a difference.

For the Windows Update problem, the next time it's offered, un-select it then check the box that says to never show it again and that should be the end of it. Are you sure it's the same number as the one already installed? Compare the KBxxxxxxx numbers.

smilelink

smilelink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hope you enjoyed your weekend! Wanted to get back with you too let you know that I finally just re-installed RealTek High Definition Audio Driver and I also changed my Windows Update scheduling from every day too just Fridays.

So far.... no more BSOD errors but I will have to wait until it tries to update on Friday to see if the issue is really resolved....

As to the Windows Updater not being able to load the Security Update for Microsofty.Net Framework 1.1 SP 1 update.. I spent two hours in chat over the weekend with a Microsoft,"Certified" tech and tried all sorts of things at her suggestion but the truth appears to be... Microsoft knows they have a,"Glitch" with this as there are literally hundreds of folks on the internet screaming about the same issue and none of them seem to have gotten a solution either... not sure where do go with this one now??? She couldn't supply me with os much as a ,"Hotfix" ???

Thanks again for all your help..I am indeed grateful!!!

Thanks,
Ken

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Glad you got it working Ken, and thanks for letting me know.