Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where to download Windows 7 Pro 64?

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have 2 legitimate product keys for Windows 7 and am building another PC out of old parts (it's actually quite good for a backup PC). I am looking for a place to download Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I looked on the Microsoft site but couldn't find it (if it is there at all).

Does anyone know an exact, and legal, location to download this OS from? Preferably an ISO file so I can just burn it to a disc.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
May I ask where you acquired 2 Windows 7 keys from Rhymin?

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I bought one which I use on my primary PC, and my friend gave me his because he now uses Windows 8 and he knew I wanted a 2nd PC.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Are you talking about Retail or OEM disks that came with a product key?

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
These are both retail.

I can't find my disc and my friend doesn't live around here, he just gave me his product key.

Edited by rhymin, 19 March 2013 - 11:39 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I think you'll find that you are not able to use the keys Rhymin.

For a start you have used one on your system and the only time you can use that key again is if you uninstall the operating system from your machine to reinstall it on a different machine.

This is according to the Microsoft Retail EULA.

I should imagine the same applies to the key that you got from your friend.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
The other key isn't being used and is a retail version, not OEM. He reformatted his HDD when he installed Windows 8 and no longer uses or has use for Windows 7.

Does anyone know where to download this?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If he had the Retail version then he should also have the physical operating system disk which he should have supplied to you.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I don't understand why you think I am lying? I said earlier that he lives hours away now and gave me his key only...over AIM to be more specific.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'm not saying you are lying whatsoever Rhymin just pointing out what you need to install Windows 7.

If I am right then 7 will have been installed on the machine previous to him installing 8 so the key for 7 will have been activated with MS.

Advertisements

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Oh ok, no worries. I was under the impression that you could uninstall a retail version and install it on a different PC... and an OEM version is the one that could only be installed on one PC no matter what.

Am I wrong in this?

Edited by rhymin, 20 March 2013 - 08:24 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
With a branded OEM it's 1 disk and 1 machine and is not transferable whatsoever.

Retail versions allow the license to be passed to another person PROVIDING that the OS is removed from the original machine and the disk and all paperwork is passed to the new owner.

This can be done only once.

Consider this under the section Transfer.

http://blog.superuse...other-computer/

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks for the quick replies, I guess I'll ask him to ship the disc or something...

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Yep.

You're lucky it's not an OEM Rhymin or he'd have to give you the computer too. :lol:

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Lol. :)