Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Glitches in process of repairing and reinstalling XP sp3 System 32&

• Please log in to reply

Laughs

Laughs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have read the description of how to do this inplace repair. I am working on HP Mini 1135 . . . . I have the DVD and external DVD drive and can boot up on it.
Then the fun begins: when I select the 2nd R . . . I get into a spot that requires and Administrator password. I am assuming that that password is what the article refers to as a CD-Code . . . I have a DVD and I cannot use the computer to read a code key nor can I download software to hunt for it . . . . I have a MacBook Pro but it does not have windows installed and I"m not sure I could acquire the key through the map . . . . I have the envelops that the DVDs came in (one is for drivers and software) but the numbers on the DVD and the numbers on the envelops do not match perfectly . . . I received DVDs w/ the computer and also bought one direct from HP . .. Would it be possible to run on the Mac the software to find key for the PC DVD . . . .

I got beyond the password block and found myself having to enter instructions for SERVICES rather than having it just run a repair . . .

AND when I tried just to install it found an OS and then when installing or creating folders it would run into some items it could not repair and weren't important and others that were blocks and folders to create that were essential and it could not do it . . .

I had checked the hardware previous to all of this.

HELP

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Laughs and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Your post kind of rambles and makes no sense to be honest.

Are you saying that you made some "Back To Factory" recovery disks that you are now having a problem with?

Laughs

Laughs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Claifying . . . .

I did not make DVDs . . . They came with computer and/or were sent by HP . . . .

They are not operating as scribed in articles on repairing in place. They are not progressing according to hoyle with the repair. They are not progressing according to hoyle w/ re-install. They even include a DVD with operating system in French, and in French it does the same . [Computer was made in Canada.] All DVDs do the same.

If following instruction for repair in place in posted article, the first time the choice to type R comes up you do not take it hit 'enter' instead , but when second choice of the R comes up you choose it. It then proceeds to process its way through files and folders until it gets to its roadblock and says it cannot create folder/WINDOWS\msapps\msinfo and that you can either hit enter again and retry or quit . . . . After many enters the same message . . .

I'll split the dilemma of what happens when trying to overwrite existent system . . . I would rather accomplish the repair in place and leave my files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Excuse the interjection folks but are you referring to the guide provided by admin Laughs http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

I get into a spot that requires and Administrator password. I am assuming that that password is what the article refers to as a CD-Code .

If you have never set an Administrator password leave this field blank, it is not where you enter the 25 digit product key/COA (Code Of Authenticity) you will be asked for this at some point of the Repair or Re-install whichever it is that you do, the COA label could either be on the base of the Mini or beneath the cover, some additional information on this @ http://h30434.www3.h...HP/td-p/1297063

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have a read of this Laughs, it may help.

http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm