Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice about small printers

• Please log in to reply

alynn

alynn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm interested in advice about compact printers. I work in an orphanage in Africa & am looking for a printer to take back with me to use with creating academic worksheets for the children. I have a printer which I purchased there, but the amount of ink necessary for so many children is very costly, and buying ink is difficult to do anyway (since I live in a remote location).

I need the printer to be small because it has to fit in my bag with a lot of other supplies which I take over there. I have looked into compact/mobile printers. Most of them cite "thermal printing" in the specifications. This seems like a good idea since it eliminates the need for expensive ink. However, it is extremely hot & humid where I live. Would this affect the ability to use thermal printing? Also, do thermal printers need a specific type of paper (meaning, a type of paper with special chemicals)?

From what I can see from looking, most of these small printers are very expensive. I only need black ink & do not need the print to be high quality - as long as the children can read it, it would be fine. Are there any less expensive ones out there that are small, but not necessarily offering a "high quality" print job?

Any advice or suggestions about particular types of compact printers would be very helpful!

Advertisements