Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden hang ups and crashes.

• Please log in to reply

rei158

rei158

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hello! About for 3 days, my computer has started to have some weird hangings. They happen very randomly etc I'm watching a video in Youtube, chatting in FB or just looking around in my folders. Also, some crashes happen right after booting- the bottom taskbar just freezes and nothing can be done and I have to restart. Furthermore I have noticed 2 times that after the freeze a error message would pop up and then the computer just reboots suddenly. The message is about an IO device failure with alot of numbers but it didn't last very long and I couldn't find it anywhere else too. I hope you can help me with this one =) Thanks in advance.

Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP 2
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz
RAM 4GB
Nvidia GTX 460

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello rei158

So that you can get the error message for us please disable the auto restart;

Click on Start and then Control Panel.

Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System from the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

Click on the System and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

Click on the System link.

In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

Click OK in the System Properties window.

You can now close the System window.

From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.

Next run Speedfan and post a screenshot of the results for us;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Well I unchecked it for now, thou no crashes have occured like that for now... So this thread may be passive for some time.. but if it occurs I'll definetly do those things.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Entirely your choice but can you still provide the Speedfan screenshot for us so that if there is anything drastic showing you have chance to do something about it.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
GPU was at 55 when I opened Speedfan but I opened a window cause the room was hot and it cooled a bit and closed it again and now it's back at 56.

Attached Thumbnails

• graphs.jpg

Edited by rei158, 25 March 2013 - 08:42 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Temps and voltages are good in both programs :thumbsup:

If you have not done so already I suggest you back up all important data on your HDD as a precaution, use a HDD monitoring software that will warn you of potential HDD failure (free) http://www.acronis.c...nitor/#overview

Let us know how things are going.