Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Images On Some Web Pages are Garbled or Does Not Load

• Please log in to reply

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hello,

I was referred to this part of the site by Jintan. I had opened a thread in the Malware section, but Jintan suggested that the problems I have may be related to hardware/GPU issues.

Here is a link to my original thread: http://www.geekstogo...28#entry2275628

The problem is that I have been getting garbled images on certain websites, and some times the images do not even load, especially on Facebook.

If you are familiar with Steam Games, my Steam Client Browser has been the worst offender... see attached image.

I have a AMD Radeon HD 6870 which usually runs on their Catalyst Software, but I uninstalled it recently to see if it fixes the problem.

Another note is that about the same time all this started happening, Firefox "blocked" the recent Java Plugin updates, so now I do not run Java at all... or so I think.

I personally think it has to do with Java but without proper guidance I don't know how to diagnose this issue on my own.

Some help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3-20-2013 7-18-54 PM.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Hello Daniel Christmas Lee

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hello Phill,

Thank you for responding to my thread, I appreciate your help.

First off... the PC Pitstop site looks very scammy... but since I trust GeekstoGo, I will follow your instructions.

Second, I understand why you would need the complete specs of my system, but I'd like to confirm that you understand what issues I'm currently experiencing:

1. Images in certain browsers (mostly in my Steam Client) are garbled.
2. Internet connectivity issues (this might just be network related/router.)

Here is my results link: http://www.pcpitstop...5277950&report=

PS: I had to re-enabled IE because I previously abolished the inferior browser from my system and only use FF/Chrome. The "fixes" recommended are also all silly, so hopefully you don't repeat them to me. Thanks again!

Note: I don't know if the scan revealed this, but I use an ASUS USB N13 Wireless adapter to receive the Internets.

Edited by Daniel Christmas Lee, 22 March 2013 - 06:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Hello Daniel,

PCPitstop is a useful tool for us as it provides a lot of information that we need which in turn means we do not need to inundate you with questions.

One thing I note in your test results is the presence of two AV programs Microsoft Security Essentials which was in use first and ESET Online Scanner v3 AntiSpyware + AntiVirus which were installed on 3/19/13, I appreciate that this was after your issue first started but I mention it as it will hinder your progress in resolving this as the programs will conflict with each other as they fight for resources and this will lead to system instability.

Decide which AV you wish to keep and then use the correct uninstall procedure to remove the other.

If you keep ESET be sure that you enable Gamer Mode http://kb.eset.com/e...ent&id=SOLN2838

Flush the DNS Cache "how to" below;

1.Press the Windows key then type in cmd (do not hit enter)
2.In the search results that come up, right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) then press Enter.
You should then see a dialog box saying successfully flushed resolver cache.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hello Phill,

Thank you for getting back to me.

My DNS has been flushed.

Attached is the screenshot you requested.

A note on my AV programs: I only run (in real time) one AV program and that is MSSE. ESET was only used when other members were helping me with malware issues; I'll uninstall it nonetheless.

Also note: I assembled this computer myself :cool:

Also also note: I have updated my BIOS before but doing so poses hardware conflicts (I actually forgot one time and tried to update again, thus having to revert back to an older BIOS) ... so my BIOS is outdated but I rather be able to boot up and use my hardware and have the Internets, than have a technically updated BIOS -_-

Attached Thumbnails

• 3-23-2013 4-03-04 PM.jpg

Edited by Daniel Christmas Lee, 23 March 2013 - 05:11 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Have you now uninstalled all traces of ESET.

Check the FF plug-ins in case they are hogging resources http://support.mozil...lugin-container

Your video card is rather warm considering it is doing nothing, try controlling and monitoring it with MSI Afterburner as it works very well with most brand of video cards/chips http://event.msi.com...User Manual.pdf

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I uninstalled ESET via the Add and Remove Programs place.

I looked into my graphics card being hot and supposedly it's still "normal."

Note: I am running 3 22/23 inch monitors at once :D and I have stuff going on screen multi-tasking.

I checked my plugins and nothing seems to be hogging Memory.

I'm not trying to optimize my system, I just want to know whats with the garbled images in my browsers and games.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
As you are already aware you have plenty of resources available for the set up that you are using so it may suggest that the issue is browser related or a problem with the ISP service itself (including the router etc).

Try a PING test on a couple of sites that give you problems and let us know the outcome http://www.pingtest.net/

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Attached is an image of the first ping test results.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3-30-2013 10-24-30 PM.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Good but could be better according to the test.

When you mouse over the details in red, top left corner what does it report about "packet loss".

Do the test at least four more times to get an average reading BTW.

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
So I dont have Java installed as a plugin because I suspect that is what is causing the problem.

It is definitely related to my other programs especially when playing online games.

There was a recent (like two months ago) security issue or something like that and around the same time I all of a sudden started having problems with my Steam Client and League of Legends game client as well as this whole browser image garbled problem.

After many system restores, I finally got my games to work, but it seemed like uninstalling Java was key to allowing me to play my online games... and right now I am all about the online gaming because I have a lot of free time on my hands.

Im afraid to reinstall Java because I dont want to deal with the problems that existed before...

However, I understand that Java is essential for certain applications and would optimize them as well.

So the packet loss testing requires Java and at this time I am afraid to install it. Do you have any other suggestions?

I agree that the internet connection, router, etc. could be the main culprit as well because the internet situation here is BAD.

For one, the wireless router is in a "girl's" room, upstairs... and I live downstairs. It's amazing I can play certain online games, but the internet connection overall is nothing compared to what it should be...

I, however, did not know that a faulty internet connection could garble my images within my browsers... I had assumed it was something else... since I did test with my Wireless Hotspot via my mobile phone which is a fairly good connect (not good enough for online gaming), there were still garbled images ...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Yes I recall the Java security issue http://www.crn.com/n...urity-patch.htm

Are you aware that many mobile phones also use Java http://techtips.salo...-java-1805.html

This is entirely your decision but you could install Java do the PING tests and then uninstall it again.

To ensure that you have the latest security patches http://java.com/en/d...&os_version=6.2

Daniel Christmas Lee

Daniel Christmas Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I appreciate your help Phill.

I'll have to sleep on this and report back within 3 days.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
You are welcome Daniel :thumbsup: