Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

restarts on its own!

• Please log in to reply

clueless1

clueless1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I just started having this problem with my computer last night. I'm running XP.

I was having a lot of problems with spy and adware and an AIM virus, so I looked up some stuff and downloaded Registry Mechanic, AdAware and AIMfix. That found a lot of stuff and got rid of it. I also ran Norton Anti-Virus 2002 and found and deleted a couple of viruses. Everything seemed fine.

Then I used Live Update to update Norton and had to restart the computer for the updates to take effect. I left for a little while, and when I came back and started windows up, it took a lot longer to load than usual and then after about 4 minutes, it restarted itself. This now happens every time I start the computer. It doesn't always get to the same point every time, but when it does get so far, I get a message saying that Windows has recovered from a major error. I can't even get it to stay on long enough to send the report to Microsoft. And because it's loading the whole time, it can't really do anything at all.

I looked up the problem on a couple other forums and one of them mentioned a minidump file and downloading the latest XP service pack. However, even if this is good advice, I can't keep the computer on long enough to do anything...

So, what do I do? I've tried to be as detailed as possible, so hopefully someone will know what to do...

Advertisements

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Are you on service pack 2?

If not and you can't get to download it, try obtaining it on a cd, I got mine from a computer magazine!

If the problem started form Norton antivirus then maybe there update was for service pack 2 people?

Let me know!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash

screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem repeat?

clueless1

clueless1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I seem to have fixed the problem (*knocks on wood*). After a housemate and I ran a variety of tests, starting in safe mode with command prompt, and so many other things (the problem actually got much worse and it looked like I had a giant paperweight on my hands), I finally found out that I could access system restore from safe mode/command prompt which was necessary because it wouldn't let me get into my computer at a certain point using plain old safe mode...it was so freakin' weird. Anyway, I did system restore after I turned off the paging file, and it actually worked. This was after a good 4 hours of no luck.

Anyway, once I got it up and running again, I tried to download Service Pack 2, but it was an empty file and said the download failed. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Thanks for your responses :tazz: