Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Load failure (BSOD) during boot of all Modes(Safe, Normal, and Last Kn

• Please log in to reply

ComputerSwimmer

ComputerSwimmer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First timer so please ask any questions for things I leave out. I'm currently using another computer to write this.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron N4110

Current Problem: During boot BSOD causes a millisecond of blue screen and the system restarts. BSOD says

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this sop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer (done). Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers (cannot be done even with system restore). Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated (I don't know how to do this). Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer (cannot be done in current state)"

Recent History:
I completed a full scan using Microsoft Defender Offline (USB).
Following the scan the defender removed a trojan called alureon.
Following this trojan removal, the computer has not booted fully to windows since.
After a failure the system restarts and goes to a "Windows Error Recovery" screen. On this screen the warning says "Windows failed to start... I can choose start normally or launch start up repair.
If I try to use startup repair it says "windows cannot repair this computer automatically". (I tried system restore from the start up repair to no avail)
If I try normal start it just goes to BSOD and repeats these steps.

Please let me know what can be done to bring my computer back to life.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To begin, turn on or restart your PC.

Just before the Windows 7 splash screen shown above appears, or just before your PC automatically restarts, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options.

Important: You do not need to be able to access Windows 7 normally to disable the automatic restart on system failure option via the Advanced Boot Options menu.

[attachment=63898:Advance Boot Menu Win7.jpg]

You should now see the Advanced Boot Options screen shown above.

If your computer automatically restarted or you see a different screen, you may have missed the brief window of opportunity to press F8 in the previous step and Windows 7 is probably now continuing (or attempting) to boot normally.

If this is the case, just restart your computer and try pressing F8 again.

Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight Disable automatic restart on system failure and press Enter.

ComputerSwimmer

ComputerSwimmer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you rshaffer61, however I'm hoping to do more than just stop the restarting. I would like to find ways to get windows to load again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ummm what I'm trying to get to is the actual BSOD error message and the instructions I gave will stop the BSOD so you can get the bugcheck code and any info it gives. This may tell us why the system is restarting.
The issue may be overheating, bad memory, bad cpu, bad motherboard, drivers, hard drive or any other list of problems but we have to start somewhere.

ComputerSwimmer

ComputerSwimmer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have included most of this BSOD error in my first message. The following is the complete BSOD message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A98E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)"

Let me know if I can send any additional information. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

Now that is the info I needed because the bug check code gets us narrowed down to the actual probable causes.
Since you stated you had a trojan but do believe it is gone I'm not going to rule that out yet but will proceed with diagnostics first.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

ComputerSwimmer

ComputerSwimmer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How would you suggest I access a place to run the chkdsk when I cannot access the command prompt or windows?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your OS installation disk a full version?
If so boot to the disk and when prompted go to the Command Prompt entry. At the command pro,pt enter chkdsk /r and then click Enter and this will start the test outside of windows.

ComputerSwimmer

ComputerSwimmer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried this and it found no errors. I also tried some of the diagnostics from the F8 menu for checking hardware and memory. The scan took about 2 hours and found no errors.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK there may be a registry key or a system file that is missing with the virus so lets try to do a startup repair.

OK the issue seems to be the Win 7 OS itself that is causing your problem so lets do a Repair Installation by following the steps HERE.
Please read and follow all instructions carefully.