Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Aspire One D255E BIOS password

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Edit- (I actually did a little searching on G2G and found that G2G doesn't really help with this sort of thing as it is technically hacking past security. I totally get that so if you can't directly help maybe someone can give me some idea of how this thing got a password to begin with? Seems to have been from the manufacturer. )

Hello.

I have an Aspire One D255E Netbook. It was actually my 9 year old sisters for a time but now im using it. I wanted to go into the BIOS to change to boot order so I can boot a linux distro from my USB drive. Unfortunately I found that the BIOS has a password set... Im fairly certain a 9 year old didn't set a BIOS password so i have no idea why it has one.

Is there possibly a way to edit the boot order without access to BIOS?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Edited by brisingr, 21 March 2013 - 10:20 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You have answered your own question in your opening paragraph Brisingr but I shall reiterate for members who are not familiar with the ruling.

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hello brisingr

As you are aware and as has been confirmed by colleague Wolfeymole we do not assist with bypassing passwords of any kind, what we are able to do is offer suggestions as to who can legitimately help you, both will require proof of ownership such as the payment receipt or the customers copy of the initial warranty registration that was sent off to Acer when the netbook was first purchased.

Contact Acer support http://us.acer.com/a...content/support you will need to provide the registration details for the netbbook and/or the serial number etc.

Take the netbook to a local tech store, take the above documents, proof of purchase/receipt, the person named on any registration documents should take the netbook and they will need proof of ID such as a driving licence or passport.

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Thanks for the replies!!

Yup as previously said I totally get you cant help bypassing the BIOS password.

I just wasn't sure if there was some other standard "not hack" way of changing the bootorder through windows that did not require the BIOS. I suppose there is not if your implying that this would be an attempt to circumvent the BIOS password.

Do some laptops come preloaded with a password? Again this isnt me trying to cirvumvent the password. Just legit curious as the only other user of was a 9 year old. I has a suspicion that since this laptop was loaded with windows 7 starter acer is doing all they can to make a user buy the windows 7 upgrade.

Again thanks. not looking for any BIOS hacks or anything. ill probably head over to the linux forum on this site for some advice on alternative installation methods that do not involve booting from usb.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
As far as I am aware only Sony machines employ a password scheme but with regard to their hard drives only.

Consider this thread at this location...

http://www.overclock...op-hdd-password

This issue is clearly not a hard drive password scenario but a plain and simple bios password that has been set by someone.

I very much doubt that Acer has done this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
If I may just chime back in folks ;)

A friend recently asked me to look at an IBM Thinkpad (circa 1994 purchase date) it has three passwords on it, 1: is for the BIOS, 2: is for accessing the HDD and 3: is for accessing the OS.

This is the first time that I have worked on a computer with such a stringent password system, it was irksome to say the least but top marks to IBM all them years ago for providing such security :thumbsup:

BTW, I don`t think that using your pet dogs name Patch for a password is such a good idea.