Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu Netbook install without usb boot? wubi questions?

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok This has been a problem I've been attempting to resolve all night long. Ill try and keep this post as short as I can.

My 9 year old sister had an Acer Aspireone D255E netbook that was passed to me when she got something a little more powerful. It comes With windows 7 starer which is just terrible in my opinion for many reasons. I was all happy and excited to Try a plethora of fun linux Distros through use of live USB boot. Unfortunatly I found that the netbook has a BIOS password that must have been from the manufacturer. I have no interest in hacking the BIOS and i COMPLETLY understand that g2g does not assist with that sort of thing.

My multi-part question instead is how I can install linux on this netbook without the ability to boot from USB? The only way I've found so far is to use the Wubi utility to install Ubuntu as a Dual boot option when I Launch the computer. Unfortuantly Wubi limits me to a 30 GB capacity which is a bummer. Also Ive heard Dual booting is not the fastest option nor is it the best for on disk usage. And finally when i installed ubuntu using Wubi it installed the 64 bit version of the OS which probably isnt as fast on the machine as the 32 bit unless im mistaken?

In summary-

Is there a way to install linux as the primary OS without use of USB booting? If not, is there a better option then wubi? and why did it force me into the 64 bit ubuntu?

Advertisements

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Figured it out :).