Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I use 2GB RAM cards

• Please log in to reply

Fred60

Fred60

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have an ASRock K8NF6G-VSTA mother board. In the specifications it says "Supported RAM Technology - DDR SDRAM" , "Memory - Supports DDR400 / 333 / 266 non-ECC. un-buffered memory", "Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB". It has two memory card slots.

Can I use (2) "Kingston KTH-DL385 2GB PC-3200 DDR-400MHz 184-Pin cards" to make the RAM 4GB?

Advertisements

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I think I just answered my own question. The Add I was looking at says they are for server only. Correct me if I am wrong in assuming 2 slots 2gb only or do they make 2gb cards that are compatible?

The intent was to upgrade from 2gb to 4gb.

Thanks,

Fred

Edited by Fred60, 22 March 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Tim_the_WIzard

Tim_the_WIzard

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
The max RAM you can install cannot exceed 2GB. Which means if you had two 2GB sticks you would only be able to use one of them.
I believe I found the same manual here.

I stumbled across a website that scans your system for RAM that fits your system.
You don't have to buy the RAM from their website but you can write down the types. Check it out here ---> [Crucial System Scanner]

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks Tim, that was an informative site.

Fred