Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes, mouse pointer stops moving.

• Please log in to reply

bombaykid

bombaykid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have dell computer with following:
Microsoft Wndows xp
home edition
Verson 2002
Intel
Pentium 4 cpu 3.00Ghz
2.99 Ghz, 2.00GB of Ram
Hard drive 149 GB ( I installed new SSD drive 120GB)
Use 35.00GB
Free 149 GB

I recently clone my c:/ drive and installed new SSD drive.

My problem is following:

Some time when I start my computer nothing heppans but the fan starts blowing very fast. Computer is not hot but fan keeps blowing. I have to turn off computer and re start.
Some time the operating systems will star loading and in the middle the computer will freeze. (no blue screen) Have to re start computer.

Some times every thing will be working o.k. and suddely it will freeze in middle of my working on some project.

This is happening to my computer for last one week. I have not installed any new hardware or change any thing.

Can any one help????????????
Need help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello bombaykid

Please provide us with the PSU brand and model name or number details.

Do you have an add on video card or are you using a video chip integrated into the MB.

bombaykid

bombaykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Dear Phillpower2:

I am not expert so I do not know what is "PSU BRAND"
My computer is DELL Serial No. 1rpw261
Model no. dhm

I have video card which came with computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello bombaykid

Unfortunately we do not have enough information to go on at the moment, please run Speccy and post the url for us http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

bombaykid

bombaykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
down loaded speccy. Every time I run Speccy my computer is freezing. I will keep trying till I get report which I can sent to you (link)

Please allow me some time till my computer cooparates with me.

bombaykid

bombaykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Every time I try to run speccy I get blue screen, What should i do?

I tried to attached a copy of blue screen but attachment does not work

bombaykid

bombaykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Enclosed is a blue screen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
bombaykid,

We understand computer problems can be stressful but please note that if you have something to add while you are waiting for a reply can you use the edit tab please, this will ensure that nothing is overlooked + it does not fill up peoples inbox, thank you for understanding.

No blue screen information I`m afraid

Take as long as you need to get whatever information is needed, we will be here + we cannot help you without it.

This is a must do, find out what the power supply unit output is in the computer.

Did this start when you fitted the SSD.

bombaykid

bombaykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

No blue screen information I`m afraid

How do I post blue screen? I have save on desk top in Word doc.

This is a must do, find out what the power supply unit output is in the computer.

Friend of mine check the power supply. it is ok. I do not know the out put of power suppy..
Power supply was replaced by new p/s last year, the guy who replced it check the p/s and he told me the p/s is ok, there is something else wrong which he can not figured it out,
he suggested to talk to you.

Did this start when you fitted the SSD.

I have been using SSD for last 3 months without any problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
How do I post blue screen? I have save on desk top in Word doc.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Friend of mine check the power supply. it is ok. I do not know the out put of power suppy..

I have no reason to doubt what your friend has said but we have ways of checking out the PSU performance and that is what we will do for you (details below).
What the testing will not tell us is the brand name and the output of the PSU and this is where you can help, all you need to do is disconnect all cables going to the computer, take off the side panel and then write down the PSU details which will be found on a sticker and then post them here for us, see highlighted example below;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

The SSD will have to wait until the PSU information is established.

Advertisements

bombaykid

bombaykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here is photo of screen and psu

Attached Thumbnails

• screen.jpg
  • power.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
The error code could either be a HDD or Ram issue and we will come to that in due course.

I could not make out the top line on the PSU screenshot, does it say something like 400W.

Please run Speedfan as requested and provide the screenshot that we need.

Please note that the Dynex brand PSU has a poor reputation http://www.hardwares...y-Review/557/10

bombaykid

bombaykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes it is 400watts

Will run speed fan as soon as posible, and if computer does not freez in middle, I will keep trying till I can run speed fan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

See if you can do the following and provide a screenshot for us please;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

bombaykid

bombaykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Now my computer freezes every few minutes so please allow me to run all the things you ask me to run. I will keep you posted as soon as I finish one task and post it on the web.

I am using my laptop to communicate with you, my desktop is the one freezes every few seconds.