Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem problems!

• Please log in to reply

twink1212

twink1212

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having a problem with the modem on an older Gateway computer. I use a dial-up connection to connect to the internet via AOL. I can connect once, but if I disconnect and then try to re-connect, it doesn't work. (I get a message that says "No dial tone detected.") At that point, I have to disconnect the phone cord from the modem port and then plug it back in and I can connect to AOL once again just fine. Does anyone know why this keeps happening? I've done it tons of times and each time it's the same story: connect to AOL once, disconnect, unplug modem, replug modem, reconnect to AOL fine. Is this a problem with my system (the modem), the AOL service, or my phone line? :tazz:

I'm becoming extremely frustrated with this problem as it is one that I've never been faced with before. ;)

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
:help:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could look for updated modem drivers

Removing the lead from the modem to the PC will reset the modem

dennyj

dennyj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: im having the same problem with an ibm thinkpad 390e. as soon as you plug in the phone line to the modem, the phone line is accessed. even if the computer is turned off. when you sign on to aol, the line is then tied up with a recording "hang up and try your call again" so if you unplug and plug in it works. the real problem is why is the computer dialing out when no turned on? must be a setting change which will control it?? any ideas?, thanks, denny